Best waterproof jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
owenclarke 15 Feb 2020

Hi in the market for a waterproof jacket, budget of 220 to 300, just bought a Montsne ajax but had it for one day on the hills in a full wet day and wasn't impressed, anyone have recommendations from their own use of a jacket, it must have a chest pocket and two have pockets. 

TIA

Guy Hurst 15 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

There's no right answer to this question. It depends on when and where you'll use the jacket, your levels of exertion, how much you sweat, what weight you're prepared to carry and several other factors, not to mention what your expectations are. If you anticipate staying dry and at a comfortable temperature in an all day downpour then you might be disappointed whatever jacket you get.

The Ajax looks like a decent jacket. What didn't you like about it?

Andy Hardy 15 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

For walking you could punt £50 on this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh900-w-p-jacket-red-id_8502093.html

angry pirate 15 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

You don't say why you weren't impressed with it. Was it fit, hood or breathability?

If the latter, my current jacket uses Goretex Pro and I have been hugely impressed by the breathability compared to old school Goretex. My jacket is a ME Shivling though it doesn't have the chest pocket you're after. I really rate mine and would replace like for like when I eventually kill it.

Montane do the Alpine Pro which seems very similar to what you're after assuming the Montane fit works for you.

druridge 15 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

I think contacting Montane might be an idea.

In my experience they're not a bad outfit, if there is something wrong I think they would like to know about it - and hopefully help? 

ballsac 15 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

i've been very impressed with my Alpkit Balance - i run hot and sweat like a pig in a bacon butty, and its remarkably comfortable as well as being waterproof in every condition/environment i've been able to find.

my antique Barbour Northumbria, rewaxed every year, is also waterproof, comfortable, and indestructable...

BattyMilk 16 Feb 2020
In reply to owenclarke:

I've a Quechua waterproof jacket that I've had for about 3years (they don't seem to make the exact model anymore). I couldn't be happier with it. Still as waterproof as the day I got it and looks like I'll get a few more years out of it. A couple of years ago I did Hadrian's wall and we had torrential rain for 3 days straight. My top half was dry as a bone. Nice stretchy fabric and has the pockets you're after too. As an added bonus, it only cost 60 quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...