Topo trail running shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 03 Feb 2020

Anyone run in them?

I have very wide feet and these look like a good shape for me. However, is the grip as good on wet rocks and slippy mud as inov8? I run canicross a lot, so a powerful dog hauling me around at high speed on technical terrain, so grip is super important for me.

Fit wise, I get on ok with inov8, but the uppers always rip really quickly as my feet are wide enough to push them outwards all the time when running. Hoping that these would solve that issue. I use Altra as hill walking shoes, but don't feel they are quite right for running in, the heel fit just isn't quite snug enough. Topos claim to be more snug at the heel. 

Any thoughts on them, or suggestions of something else similarly shaped to look at too?

wbo2 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:I've tried them on and my number one thought was 'crikey that's a lot of money for a very basic shoe'.  I particularly thought the midsole was a very basic EVA and wasn't going to last long, but that was a few years ago.

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Just out of interest, which Inov8 shoe are you currently using?  As you've probably realised Inov8 have a massive range of shape and size shoes.  Me and my family all run (orienteering) in Inov8s, but we have very different foot shapes.  My son has long, narrow feet and fits perfectly in X-Talon 212 Classics.  I have short, wide feet and I get on perfectly with X-Talon 260 Ultra.  Might be worth looking at the 260 Ultras?

OP girlymonkey 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

I use the roclites. They aren't too bad, but my feet are so wide that they bulge out of most shoes. I have proper hobbit feet! The roclites don't leave me with sore feet from squashing though.

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

...also, when grip is paramount my OH runs in Inov8 Arctic Claw 300.  Wide (very similar fit to the X-Talon 260 Ultras) but with small metal spikes for even more grip.

HTH

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Do you know the number after the 'Roclite'?  Inov8 say 'The lower the number on the scale, the narrower the fit...'

In reply to Dave Todd:

I think part of the problem with the grip aspect is that I need grip on rocky trails as much as muddy. I can't have spikes for canicross but wouldn't really want them for the rockier bits anyway I don't think. I am happy to accept that there will be a bit of compromise, the roclites give reasonable grip on both without being perfect on either. The compromise works for me and I guess I am looking for a similar compromise with a wider toe box!

In reply to Dave Todd:

Interesting, I don't know off hand.

The shape still tapers at the toes though, my very square feet are better in the "foot shaped" toe box, as Altra call them. 

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Certainly worth checking out the number - SportsShoes list 40+ different 'Roclite' shoes, ranging from 275 to 370...!  Makes a huge difference (as I've found out by trial and error!)

More-On 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I'll jump in here and say I have wide feet and can't wear roclites (an Inov8 3), but the X Talon Ultra 260s (an Inov8 4) fit me really well. The toe box is wider and (importantly for me) higher in the '4' fit.

Sounds like they could be worth a try as the grip is great.

For drier, harder trails I use the Trail Talons also in a '4' fit. As you can tell, for my feet Inov8 just fit right, but YMMV...

More-On 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

Couldn't agree more on checking the width fit - as you can see!

In reply to Dave Todd:

It's not the width that is the problem though (I just checked, I am in 315), it's the toe shape! They will be wider across the balls of my feet (helpful), but still go in towards the front. I want square ones. 

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Fair enough!  Good luck with the search for the right shoes...it can be a bit of a holy grail quest!

In reply to Dave Todd:

The widest women's ones on inov8 website is 350, but they are gortex. It seems I am in the widest non-gortex ones. 

In reply to Dave Todd:

It really is a pain. At least I get on ok with the roclites, I am just looking for better. My husband is currently unhappy with all his current ones! 

And once you find the perfect shoe, they almost inevitably stop making them!! lol

Post edited at 14:04
 More-On 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

The ones I've mentioned are much squarer than the roclite so might work...

TMM 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I think there is some confusion about Inov8's width guide.

The model number has nothing to do with width. Each shoes is assessed by Inov8 and issued with a width guide ranging from 1 (narrow) to 5 (wide).

Link below shows all the width 5 women's fit  shoes.

https://www.inov-8.com/collections?fit_filter=310&genders=193

Post edited at 15:00
 Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to TMM:

You're right...my bad!

I saw the phrase 'The lower the number on the scale, the narrower the fit' and jumped to the wrong conclusion.  I can see that the scale is actually 1-5.

Just out of interest, does the 'other' number (e.g. 212, 260, 300) mean anything?

TMM 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

Weight. The higher number normally means it is a more cushioned whilst the lower numbers indicate a race shoe or a shoe for runners light on their feet.

More-On 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Todd:

It's the weigh of a pair IIRC. Used to be size 8 for men's so all my 11.5s are somewhat over that.

Dave Todd 03 Feb 2020
In reply to TMM:

Thanks - that'll be really useful info for me in future! (With 4 orienteers in the family - including 2 growing children - we seem to be forever buying new Inov8s!)

daWalt 03 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

If you've got feet like flippers: La sportiva TX2.

good shoe for rock and gravel, less good on mud and grass.

cousin nick 04 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I use Altra Superior as my off-road shoe of choice. I have a bunion on my left foot and need the 'foot-shaped' forefoot. I also have quite narrow heels, but I find that using the additional 'heel lock' lace holes keeps them nice and snug. I find these zero-drop Altras the best shoe I've ever had for doing sketchy downhill sections - they just feel so secure. Grip has never been an issue in mud or on rocky/stony sections of the coast path (I used them for the Grizzly last year). I like the removable rock plate too - sometime you need it, sometimes you don't.

Interestingly I've just bought a pair of Topos when I went to the Running Show at the NEC - very similar in looks to the Altras, but with 6mm drop. Not tried them yet, but they seem a bit more robustly made. Time will tell.

I gave up with Inov8s - wider ones were a fairly good fit and grippy too, but as you said, they're let down by fragile uppers and poor gluing.

Maybe start by experimenting with the lacing on Altras?

N

steveriley 04 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Wide feet here and burst out of narrower Inovs. I’ve got my eye on the new XTalon 255s ...once they start getting discounted a bit more. 212s were great but value my toenails too highly now 😀

redscotti 04 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Where are you seeing these on sale in the UK? Thanks.

Post edited at 18:56
 mbh 04 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I went to  a proper running shop a couple of years ago, hoping to buy Altras. I came away with road (Fli-Lyte) and trail (Terraventure) pairs of Topos for which I paid top dollar. I have wide feet and they were very comfortable. But they haven't lasted very well.

The road pair in particular got those wide slits along the side  of the upper, where it joins the sole  that are really hard to repair. This after 100-200 miles. The trail pair got big holes in the uppers where my little toes push against them. 

Consequently I eked them out among other shoes and haven't done more than about 400 miles in either in all that time.  They are comfortable though.

My favourite alternatives in that time for road/trail have been Salming Miles for road and Brooks Cascadia for trails.

OP girlymonkey 04 Feb 2020
In reply to redscotti:

I haven't found them in a bricks and mortar shop, but northernrunner.com has quite a lot and there are several on eBay too.

In reply to cousin nick:

My current altras which I use for hill walking are falling apart ( I quite like the more relaxed fit for walking), but I do find the grip good and they are very stable underfoot. I will likely get some more for walking anyway, so might look at the superiors and play with lacing to see if I could run in them

In reply to cousin nick:

I will be interested to hear how you get on with the new topos.

In reply to mbh:

I'm getting increasingly unimpressed with trail shoe uppers. My husband's ones have all gone through the uppers too (variety of brands). I guess it's hard to get them breathable to run in and still last

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...