Jeans that fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 31 Jan 2020

I'm finding it hard to get a pair of jeans that fit me well, they're either too tight around the thighs or too loose at the waist. I've resorted to using a belt done up tight which isn't comfortable and bunches up making them look saggy.

Long story short narrower waist larger thighs, what can you suggest?

tia

Dax H 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

30 years ago I mercilessly took the piss out of my dad for wearing braces, 20 years ago I tried them and never looked back. I have also converted a few people to them. 

Far superior to a belt.

I have tried many types over the years and these are the strongest and best I have found. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decalen-Braces-Style-Strong-Adjustable/dp/B07415V2...

cb294 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

At least slightly stretchy jeans. Anything else makes sitting too uncomfortable, as it compresses the thighs.

CB

Timmd 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Perhaps you could look into buying a pair which fits around the thighs, and having them altered around the waist?

TechnoJim 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Have you tried Howies? I've got massive thighs (and arse!) relative to the rest of me and they fit pretty well. 

As Timmd says, alteration is your friend, I used to buy baggy jeans and get the waist nipped in, usually about £10-15 from your friendly local laundrette or washing service

Post edited at 18:18
 AndyC 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

I had a similar problem with "cyclist's thighs". I found that some Tommy Hilfiger jeans variants did actually fit reasonably well.  I take a 32 inch waist and 34 inch inside leg. 

In reply to Timmd:

> Perhaps you could look into buying a pair which fits around the thighs, and having them altered around the waist?

Or could you get a pair which fit around the waist and them cut them down to make denim hot pants?

Dr.S at work 31 Jan 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Maybe try Spoke?

i get my work trousers from them, and they do loads of size options.

Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2020
In reply to The Potato:

just keep shopping around until you find a brand that works for you. I never thought my legs and waist were particularly unusual but a depression 2 hours in an awful shopping mall trying to get decent smart-casual trousers, taught me that I am weird! For me, Gap trousers fit ok. There is hopefully a brand for you 

HB1 31 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Gap jeans don't fit me. Uniglo might, but I'll stick with TK Maxx - it's pot-luck, of course, but loads to choose from -  I've a pair of Relay denims from there at the mo - 29" waist (that's my true size - try getting that on the High Street!) and very cheap too!

Olaf Prot 01 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Thank God, it's not just me then? As a (probably ex) climber and keen tennis player I have well developed thighs and a waist which is only slightly (?!) larger than when I was 18, and I find every time I pick up a pair of trousers it seems to have been designed for someone with legs like pipe cleaners...

GrahamD 01 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Don't be a sheep and stop wearing jeans ?

girlymonkey 01 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

What's wrong with wearing jeans? They are hard wearing, comfortable ( if you can get them to fit!) and can be both smart and casual so reduces the number of pairs of trousers that you need to own. It's not being a sheep, it's being practical.

Charity shops are worth a look, more of the non-standard options usually, and better for the environment if we can buy second hand.

rogersavery 01 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Eat more pies?

The New NickB 01 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

It’s an obsession that Graham has, he has insisted on expressing on here for years. I think he favours Partridge style “leisurewear”.

Wyn 01 Feb 2020

I think levis do an "athletic" cut that may suit your bodyshape. The Alpkit ones are also ok.

Post edited at 19:23
 Hooo 01 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Only jeans? I've searched for years for trousers of any style that I can wear without a belt, but I've given up now. I just accept that a belt will always be required. 

Haven't owned a pair of jeans for over 30 years though. I've never found them comfortable.

LastBoyScout 02 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Also a victim of "cyclist thighs"!

Try Levis 514 or Wrangler Texas stretch/Arizona - all from Debenhams.

Post edited at 09:23
 rjwlkr 02 Feb 2020
In reply to HB1:

Though you can get 29" waist jeans in Uniqlo, on the high street (or at least mine).

GrahamD 02 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sorry but jeans are never smart.

HB1 02 Feb 2020
In reply to rjwlkr:

> Though you can get 29" waist jeans in Uniqlo, on the high street (or at least mine).

Interestingly (or not) Uniqlo were briefly in Manchester about 15 years ago, and i bought a few items at the time, but they retreated from the provinces back to londonland. Last year they came back, all glass-and-glitz. I'm sticking with TKs (I like a few surprises when I shop)

girlymonkey 02 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I guess smart is subjective. I wear them as smart. Clean ones with a nice top and smart shoes can be smart. Maybe not formal, definitely smart

The New NickB 02 Feb 2020
In reply to HB1:

Uniqlo are back in Manchester, big store on Market Street.

In reply to GrahamD:

> Sorry but jeans are never smart.

If you press them well and wear them with a denim jacket you’ve got yourself a suit. What could be smarter than that?

jethro kiernan 02 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

What size are you, I have some jeans that are designed for muscle thighs, didn’t suit me but I was going to put them on eBay size 32/32

JohnBson 02 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Oh the great Jean mystery. I have the same problem with my thunder thighs caused by years of uphill activity, rugby and rowing. I've yet to find a brand although the prana jeans seem to work well for me. Unfortunately since 2010 the world became obsessed with skinny jeans. Hopefully this decade will produce something more inclusive for those of us who like to do exercise. 

In reply to The Potato:

My Genes " fit " me just fine .

OP The Potato 02 Feb 2020
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Exactly my size, I'll message you

cap'nChino 02 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Jeggings may be your friend. Maybe worth looking at Barbell Jeans, they stretch but look like actual jeans. Supposed to be good quality. The founders of SuperDRY also have a stretchy jeans line going too. 

OP The Potato 03 Feb 2020
In reply to cap'nChino:

barbell certainly look good but £120!

deepsoup 03 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

> barbell certainly look good but £120!

I bought a discounted pair in their 'crowdfunder' start up thingamabob, and was disappointed.  Too tight around the legs, too loose around the waist!  The waist band is very low too. I think they're intended for hipsters who want a tight fit and to show off their underpants.  Mine ended up going to the charity shop.

I've just had a scan through the thread and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Simond jeans from Decathlon. (They're not really jeans, but they look like them - the material is much lighter and more stretchy than 'proper' denim.) 

I think the design has changed slightly from the ones I like (these aren't quite indentical to the ones I'm wearing now), but I'm sure they'd be worth a look..
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-comfort-ii-jeans-id_8551531.html

Also: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-rock-jeans-blue-grey-id_8386829.html

Frank4short 03 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Diesel but you gotta spend for quality.

Rigid Raider 03 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Yes vanity sizing is an irritation when you've still got a 32" waist at the age of 63 and more than usually muscular thighs. All trousers come with skinny thighs and no waist, meaning that like the OP you have to wear a belt and bunch the waist up. 

There's a cyclist who frequents the Cycle Chat forum who got a DVT in his leg after wearing fashionably tight jeans. If you happen to mention it either on the forum or when riding with him he will tell you all about how it almost killed him. 

robal 03 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Hugo Boss, they're a bit more square.

I have the same problem and have found they're pretty reliable for decent sizing 

krikoman 03 Feb 2020
In reply to Dax H:

>  20 years ago I tried them and never looked back.

I did this with a rear view mirror in my van.

joshtee25 03 Feb 2020
In reply to The Potato:

The most comfortable pair I have owned are Black Diamond Forged Denim jeans. Bit baggy around the calf, but a good fit around the thighs and waist (I'm 31ish waist and 32 ish leg). BD also claim you'll not be able to break their jeans, they've mixed denim with spandex or something, as well as Cordura. So far I'm impressed, though I have yet to drag them up a grit slab whilst sh**ting myself, so they've not been 'properly' tested. They are also a very dark blue, which you might like, or not, depending on what you want!

Levi's athletic cut are good too (slightly stretchy) but I still found them a touch snug around the thighs. They certainly looked good though (I've now got the classic holes on the inner thigh where they've rubbed through)

Blue Straggler 04 Feb 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Sorry but jeans are never smart.

It’s more the case that you are unable to look smart in jeans. I do get where you are coming from but I politely disagree. It is 2020. 

OP The Potato 05 Feb 2020

Thanks for all the input everyone (aside from the minor tangent of jeans not looking smart), I ordered a pair of Wrangler Durable Stretch which are the same as the Texas stretch (only £10 less) and they do indeed fit me very well and have a decent amount of stretch and thigh room whilst still looking trendily lean.

The sizing was spot on for a change both in waist and length.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...