Cure for Mildew on a tent outer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 30 Jan 2020

Hello UKC hive-mind,

I've recently picked up a cheap MH Tango 2 Tent in goodish condition for £130. And figured it was worth a punt despite the staining to some of the outer.

So I figured something like Milton diluted 10:1 with water will ensure the Mildew is dead, however is there any way of removing the stain left by it before I reproof the outer?

I've considered Vanish Oxi-Action or something like this:

https://www.force4.co.uk/starbrite-mildew-stain-remover-650ml.html?utm_sour... 

However I wasn't sure if it would damage the material?

Thanks,

Michael

In reply to Tigger:

I'd try putting it in the washing machine and then drying and reproof it.

Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Tigger:

I wouldn't use bleach, it might degrade the fibres. Just wash, reproof and live with the staining.

Or camouflage it by doing what my school friend did when we lent him our family Vango Force 10 - leave it in the boot of your car, painted with bitumen, alongside a leaking petrol can and when brown liquid soaks into the tent and leaves it looking like a psychologist's inkblot test, just hand it back without a word of regret or offer to replace....

OP Tigger 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I'm guessing the word friend is being used loosely after that incident! Yea I am trying to avoid chlorine based products, however I think Milton is chlorine based? As for stain removal I thought Vanish products are chlorine free?

OP Tigger 30 Jan 2020
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I thought I'd need to destroy the mildew spores though, and I didn't think that just washing it would do that?

OP Tigger 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Tigger

Does MiraZyme kill mildew or just remove the odour?

Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Milton is bleach, which degrades textiles quite badly. Vanish is an oxidiser. MiraZyme sounds like an enzyme.

Here's something on stain removers: https://edu.rsc.org/download?ac=10997

Post edited at 16:44
 marsbar 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Sunlight is the best way to kill off mildew.  

OP Tigger 30 Jan 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I'll go look for some

marsbar 30 Jan 2020
In reply to Tigger:

It was sunny in the (English) Midlands this morning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...