VIDEO: Kilian Jornet vs Base Jumper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 22 Jan 2020
Kilian Jornet and Tom Erik Base Jumper Tom Erik Heimen and trail runner Kilian Jornet "race" up & down the iconic Romsdalshorn (1550m) in Norway.

Read more
 Rad 22 Jan 2020

A brilliant short about finding joy in the mountains, joy in movement, and joy in a lighthearted competition between friends.

Rigid Raider 22 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Fantastic!  I hate coming down mountains as it hurts my feet and makes my legs sore so maybe I'll nip to Decathlon and get one of those wingsuit thingies.

Anon Amus 22 Jan 2020

Brilliant! climbed this mountain last summer.....took 7 hours!! 

Mr Lopez 23 Jan 2020

Enjoyed that. Kilian should give it a go against David here  https://www.facebook.com/david.fuste.vilella/videos/1856017397876953/

oscaig 23 Jan 2020

Nice - something a bit different.

Robert Durran 23 Jan 2020

Contrived silliness. Trying to convince myself that it is harmless fun rather than somehow vaguely irritating......

cheese@4p 23 Jan 2020

Kilian's orange shoes deserve a mention, whatever they were.

henwardian 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Contrived silliness. Trying to convince myself that it is harmless fun rather than somehow vaguely irritating......

That should be pretty easy to do. The entire tone of the video is very light-hearted and fun and there is none of the over-the-top hyping that would make it irritating.

I thought it was a great bit of fun.

In reply to henwardian:

> That should be pretty easy to do. The entire tone of the video is very light-hearted and fun and there is none of the over-the-top hyping that would make it irritating.

No, watched it l;ast night and still slightly irked.........

GraB 23 Jan 2020

Isn't climbing generally just a load of contrived silliness, ultimately? But who cares? It doesn't stop it being fun.

I enjoyed it.

In reply to GraB:

> Isn't climbing generally just a load of contrived silliness, ultimately? But who cares? It doesn't stop it being fun.

Maybe, but even some fun can be irritating. Though I admit I can't quite put my finger on why I found this so.

henwardian 23 Jan 2020

> Maybe, but even some fun can be irritating. Though I admit I can't quite put my finger on why I found this so.

[cough]grumpyoldman[cough]

:P

What a brilliant and uplifting film!

Alan

Deadeye 23 Jan 2020

Nice video.

You've made one serious editorial error though - in the title of all places.

Should read "VIDEO: Tom Erik Heimen vs Trail Runner".

Tony the Blade 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Rad:

That's exactly what I took from it as well.

Oh the joy...

jezb1 23 Jan 2020

I loved it, properly made me smile

In reply to henwardian:

> [cough]grumpyoldman[cough]

> :P

Well that sort of headcam footage is ALWAYS annoying for a start.

I suppose it came across to me as a sort of poor man's Top Gear challenge without the humour.

Wicamoi 23 Jan 2020

I was expecting to feel the same as you before I watched it - grumpiness about commodification of the wild - but actually I found it just really lovely and silly. I wanted the runner to win but, having considered it closely, I have no idea why.

Robert Durran 24 Jan 2020

Here's a far more entertaining race involving climbing and base jumping. And with as many memorable quotes as Cliffhanger.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=2069

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

Only that's an scripted fake of a race which never happened.... You might as well watch Cliffhanger if that's what you like

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Only that's a scripted fake of a race which never happened.... You might as well watch Cliffhanger if that's what you like.

I love Cliffhanger! Even better than K2 and almost as good as The Eiger Sanction!

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

And let me guess, you think Freesolo is lame because Honnold wasn't dynoing and cutting loose like Gabe and didn't drop any good one-liners while soloing the crux on Freerider?

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> And let me guess, you think Freesolo is lame because Honnold wasn't dynoing and cutting loose like Gabe and didn't drop any good one-liners while soloing the crux on Freerider?

No, I thought Freesolo was awesome because of its utter authenticity. And it is quotable. If something is going to be contrived/fake, I'd rather it went totally for it like Cliffhanger or Clarkson v Houlding rather than the lame half way house of this Romsdalhorn thing.

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

> rather than the lame half way house of this Romsdalhorn thing.

Ah, but this Romsdalhorn thing is actually the real thing. Nothing faked on it. Literally them 2 guys wth a gopro each saying whatever comes from the moment with no scripts or prepared lines and a third guy with a drone. If you want authenticity it doesn't get any more authentic than that, but by the sounds of it that's not what you like.

For me it's that authenticity and spontaneity in this little film that does it, as it it really lets the joy of them playing silly games in the mountains shine. But hey, we'll have to agree to disagree

GDes 24 Jan 2020

Great stuff. The skill of the base jumper steering round the side of that mountain definitely deserves more praise. That's definitely flying rather than falling

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Ah, but this Romsdalhorn thing is actually the real thing. Nothing faked on it.

Not faked, but contrived.

> If you want authenticity it doesn't get any more authentic than that.

Just going climbing or base jumping for the joy of it? No silly games, headcams or drones?

> For me it's that authenticity and spontaneity in this little film that does it.

Spontaneity?! It looks to me like a contrivance to make a marketable film.

But maybe I'm too cynical.......

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

I can see this going round in circles forever....

> contrivance to make a marketable film.

Their PR and marketing department will be crossed when they notice they forgot to plaster the video with the logos.

How about you watch it again but we do a bet. For each of their sponsors logos you can see in the film i'll put £10 towards mountain rescue. If there's no logos displayed in the video from any sponsors then you put £100 to mountain rescue? Would you even be able to tell what sponsors either of them have from the video?

> Just going climbing or base jumping for the joy of it? No silly games, headcams or drones?

So that's why you don't like Freesolo or any climbing videos besides fakes and movies then. Or you only like videos filmed without cameras?

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> How about you watch it again but we do a bet. For each of their sponsors logos you can see in the film i'll put £10 towards mountain rescue. If there's no logos displayed in the video from any sponsors then you put £100 to mountain rescue? Would you even be able to tell what sponsors either of them have from the video?

Challenge accepted! I'll watch it this evening. I assume you will as well so that we can agree on the count. Probably best to have a neutral do so too if possible.

> So that's why you don't like Freesolo or any climbing videos besides fakes and movies then. Or you only like videos filmed without cameras?

I like films of climbs done as they happened and which would have been done anyway even if the cameras had not been there.

Post edited at 13:39
 Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

I already did, before posting u the challenge actually. There's no logos visible from just watching the video. If you pause it in places and you really squint to the screen or zoom in you can just about make the shape if you know the brand, otherwise no, there's no marketable publicity on display anywhere as this was obviously not the intent of the video.

Anyway, you obviously don't like it and that's that so fair enough. Everyone's got there own taste and that's that

Post edited at 14:41

Just incredible to see athletes at the top of their game playing with such skill in the mountains. What did god give these guys instead of meniscuses? Flubber? 

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> I already did, before posting u the challenge actually. There's no logos visible from just watching the video. 

I'll watch it and if you're right that's £100 to Dundonnell MR.

Anyway, I never meant to suggest that the film was about logos, just that the race seemed to be a contrivance in order to produce a subject for a film that people would want to watch - that is what I meant by marketable, but maybe it was the wrong choice of word. So I suppose my question is whether the race would have happened if no film had been made.

JuneBob 24 Jan 2020

They're mates, they ski together, romsdalshorn is their local hill, they often see each other on it, one running the other flying, they knew it could be a close race, I'm pretty sure they'd have done it if there were no cameras.

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

> I'll watch it and if you're right that's £100 to Dundonnell MR.

Ha. It wouldn't be fair with me having checked the video before sugesting the bet.

> Anyway, I never meant to suggest that the film was about logos, just that the race seemed to be a contrivance in order to produce a subject for a film that people would want to watch - that is what I meant by marketable, but maybe it was the wrong choice of word. So I suppose my question is whether the race would have happened if no film had been made.

Aha, and i think i get now where you are comig from. So yes, if the whole thing had been organised just for the sake of making a video, as in somebody sitting there thinking "what can i do a video of that will go viral?", then yes, possibly contrived and forced. But i honestly believe this to have had a more casual and playful conception.

Who here can say they've never gone "i'll race you to the bottom!" while sprinting it down the hill?

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Who here can say they've never gone "i'll race you to the bottom!" while sprinting it down the hill?

So they were both happened to be hanging out below the Romsdalhorn one day and one said to the other "I'll race you to the top and back". So they did........ and there just happened to be cameramen in situ and a drone available on site? 

Mr Lopez 24 Jan 2020

Lol, you are unrelenting. There you go https://www.facebook.com/tom.heimen/posts/10162952767770068

nikoid 24 Jan 2020

> Base Jumper Tom Erik Heimen and trail runner Kilian Jornet "race" up & down the iconic Romsdalshorn (1550m) in Norway. Read more

Why is everything iconic these days?  It's getting ridiculous. Harumpf.

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Lol, you are unrelenting. There you go https://www.facebook.com/tom.heimen/posts/10162952767770068

So not a spontaneous "race you up and down" then

sandrow 25 Jan 2020

Loved it Robert.

It's obviously had pre-planning and organisation.

Brands aren't being pushed.

There's no yee-hawing or high-fiving.

Just two impressive guys pushing and enjoying themselves.

And a great advert for Norway.

Post edited at 11:23
 nigel pearson 26 Jan 2020

great fun film, thanks.

thommi 26 Jan 2020

To say this......

> Here's a far more entertaining race involving climbing and base jumping. And with as many memorable quotes as Cliffhanger.

But then say this...

> Not faked, but contrived.

> Just going climbing or base jumping for the joy of it? No silly games, headcams or drones?

> Spontaneity?! It looks to me like a contrivance to make a marketable film.

> But maybe I'm too cynical.......

Just seems daft. Lighten up a little man. But also, you know, if you do see something that isn't exactly your cup of tea, then perhaps just move on and don't comment.

And just for the record, I appreciate the irony of my post. It just sometimes seems that you are quick to put things down.

I thought the video was okay, not the most interesting thing Killian has done, but hey ho...

Just for balance, maybe you'd like this? I know I certainly did....

youtube.com/watch?v=8NxXh3UqpAE&

Robert Durran 26 Jan 2020
In reply to thommi:

> Just seems daft. Lighten up a little man.

I thought I was making it clear that if you're going to do something contrived/fake, then you might as well do it properly.........

> But also, you know, if you do see something that isn't exactly your cup of tea, then perhaps just move on and don't comment.

I also think it was clear that I was sort of thinking aloud - inviting discussion; as I said, I was struggling to put my finger on what I found irksome about the film. Obviously nobody else felt the same way as me though!

As I said on the other thread about the Fairhead film, this is, after all, a discussion forum! And anybody is perfectly free to watch these films without getting involved in the discussion thread.

> It just sometimes seems that you are quick to put things down.

I don't think that is true at all. Maybe it is you who needs to lighten up a bit

Robert Durran 26 Jan 2020
In reply to thommi:

> Just for balance, maybe you'd like this? I know I certainly did....

Sorry, I find that sort of headcam stuff virtually unwatchable! I skipped to the end - certainly an impressive feat.

thommi 27 Jan 2020

To be fair, I think you are right. I was super tired last, and my post wasn't really very fair or thought out, I apologise.

You are also absolutely right that this is a discussion forum and should house any (within reason) point of view which someone wants to express. I think what I was trying to say was that (as someone said above), there is not a whole lot in the world of climbing and running now that isn't a contrivance. Even just going out is to some extent contrived. We certainly don't just naturally have to run or climb (although an argument against this would be easy to justify, I know what I am getting at).

I appreciate you're not a fan of head(body?)cam footage. It is however a good way of capturing continuous movement when alone and not dependant on the involvement of a film crew. In a sense it lends itself to a less 'contrived' way of sharing the pursuit of an activity.

Anyway, apologies again for being personal. That wasn't called for and not really my intention.

Robert Durran 27 Jan 2020
In reply to thommi

> I appreciate you're not a fan of head(body?)cam footage. It is however a good way of capturing continuous movement when alone and not dependant on the involvement of a film crew. In a sense it lends itself to a less 'contrived' way of sharing the pursuit of an activity.

That is a very good point. I just find it hard to watch and don't like the distortion.

> Anyway, apologies again for being personal. That wasn't called for and not really my intention.

No problem!

bouldery bits 27 Jan 2020

You'll love this!

youtube.com/watch?v=8e0yXMa708Y& 

bouldery bits 27 Jan 2020

My brother and I are planning an in homage race this weekend from Meldon reservoir up to Dinger Tor and back to the car prk.. He's on the MTB so will have to go round to the north of Yes Tor and then south to Dinger. I'm equipped with fell shoes and a bum bag and a bumbag so will be able to go direct. 

Should be fun! (I'll likely lose cos I'm rubbish and he's decent, but you never know!)

I know it's not quite the Rommsdahlhorn but...well. it's Devon's Rommsdahlhorn

Post edited at 23:47
 Damo 29 Jan 2020

Running is awful and base jumping is stupid and that was really good.

Up 900m vertical in 30min is just insane

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...