Best guide book for peak trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 InstructorTom 13 Jan 2020

As the title says what is the best guide book for peak district trad, is it eastern grit?

two_tapirs 13 Jan 2020
In reply to InstructorTom:

> As the title says what is the best guide book for peak district trad, is it eastern grit?

It's probably not much use for the Western grit crags.

mrphilipoldham 13 Jan 2020

No, it’s Over the Moors.

Luke90 13 Jan 2020
In reply to two_tapirs:

Nor, indeed, for the limestone.

Tom Valentine 13 Jan 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I wish the nags on a Saturday afternoon were as predictable .........       

Deadeye 13 Jan 2020

Search out the Paul Nunn guide.  Quite hard to find now, but huge coverage and will put hairs on your chest.

In reply to Deadeye:

Or nails in your coffin.

deacondeacon 13 Jan 2020

Just get the Stanage guidebook. A great guidebook for the best crag in the Universe!

... Or the best selective guidebook for Peak Grit is Pete O Donovans book called Peak Grit. 

wilkie14c 14 Jan 2020

Rockfax eastern grit, western grit and northern limestone for taking to the crag and putting your ticks in.

The BMC definitive guides for the coffee table at home.

One simply can’t have enough guide books.

mrphilipoldham 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Guidebooks are subjective, nags aren't.

Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2020

I was referring to your response. You were a bit slow on the Stanage thread, by the way: had to step up in your place.

mrphilipoldham 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I know, should have had a smiley. There is no defined 'best' hence why I offered my personal best.. all very tongue in cheek! 

Just got in on the Stanage one. Offered up Yorkshire as the first alternative in a rare break with tradition  

Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2020

It didn't go un-noticed.

flaneur 14 Jan 2020

How long can you wait? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6NjO6XDLPX/?igshid=qoatj1qpxe8k

Grit select guide from Graham Hoey published by Vertebrate coming in Spring. With  this team behind it, Rockfax will probably be getting some meaningful competition. 

Tigger 14 Jan 2020

I'd start with:

Eastern Grit

Peak Limestone North (BMC)

Peak Limestone South (BMC)

And 

Over the Moors (BMC) or Wester Grit

I prefer the definitive though as they're smaller than Rockfax, have all the bouldering and provide some good reading as well.

Michael Gordon 14 Jan 2020

On Peak Rock

Martin Bennett 14 Jan 2020

As has been suggested above, for one volume to begin with, I'd go for "On Peak Rock" or the even older Paul Nunn selected guide book "Rock Climbing in the Peak District". Both should be available on-line from the usual 2nd hand book sites for a couple of quid. If there's a more modern single volume for Peak lime and grit I don't know about it. 

If you're just using it to visit the Peak (your logbook suggested you're not local) then the, selective, Rockfax guides would be your best choice imo. You're not going to run out of good routes to try in those.

I obviously work for UKC/Rockfax but I would've given the same advice 10 years ago when I didn't.

Offwidth 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Paul Nunn's guide is fundamentally flawed as a guidebook: it's very hard to use and the grades are all over the place. It is a terrible choice for someone new to the area. On Peak Rock in contrast is still brilliant fun and very usable (especially the first edition, with the wonderful crag selector in the appendix) but probably a bit old in style for those used to photo topos and quite large for some for crag use (but it's essential for any guidebook collector for a home library).

If the OP wants just one modern volume then the VG Peak District: climbing guide is the best for lower grade climbers or there is  POD's topo guide mentioned above or wait a few months for the BMC Wired grit guide or Graham Hoey's selected grit guide (bloody busses all coming at once).

Post edited at 12:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...