Short back length 40l climbing pack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, I’m looking at replacements for my Crux AX40 pack with a shorter back length. I’m 5’8” and my hip bones are quite high. The AX40 seems the same length as the regular AK47s from the website.

Even with the lid pushed in the main compartment it was very awkward looking upwards whilst wearing a helmet and climbing. Doesn’t have to be super-light-mithril-expensive just hard wearing really, so open to suggestions?

Ideally:

1. About 40l

2. Rope carrier

3. Top lid pocket

4. Carries 2l bladder

5. Minimal ish waist belt

annak 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Northern_Monkey:

I have a Lowe Alpine, Alpine Ascent ND 38:40 that ticks all your boxes (though I've never used the water pocket) and is generally a great bit of kit, very durable.

Tigger 09 Jan 2020

Patagonia Ascensioist might fit the bill it comes in a couple of sizes.

Andrew W 09 Jan 2020

Black Diamond speed 40 comes in 2 back lengths and meets most of the other requirements.

Cheers everyone, I will take a look at the ones you have suggested so far!

Basemetal 14 Jan 2020

Have a look at a Blue Ice Warthog 40 ( not the 45 but the previous model) still lurking in some retailers.

Bergzeit for example...

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/blue-ice-warthog-40-backpack/

Post edited at 23:14
 Duncan Beard 15 Jan 2020

If you go here: https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/

they can make one the right length for your back & with options you want. I got a Zephyr 47+10, not cheap but light, tough & genuinely makes loads feel lighter because it fits so well.

CIngramUK 16 Jan 2020

Osprey Mutant 38l. Get it in a size S/M and it has a removable lid that you can stash to reduce the height further when climbing. I'm a short arse and hit mean head on every other bag before getting this

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...