COMPETITION: WINNERS - Outdoor Research Handpicked Handwear: Shop Staff Favourites. Now Win Your

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Staff from Britians best-love outdoor stores recommend their favourite Outdoor Research gloves. Now win yours!

Read more
 TMM 02 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Thanks for the chance to win some great looking gloves/mitts. I am a little confused as to how to answer though.

The Outdoor Research website suggests there are 6 categories (Alpine, Ski & Snowboard, Rock Climbing, Sun Protection, Fleece & Liners and finally Training) of men's gloves and this is replicated in the women's section.

As a result the answer I would infer would be either 6 or 12. Intriguingly neither of these are options.

Happy to concede that I am have entirely misread the competition but also happy to be awarded the prize right now!

Happy New Year!

Luke90 02 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

I went with 10, on the logic that this is basically an advert. So when the answer is product-related and numerical the correct answer is normally the biggest or smallest option depending on which would be considered most favourable.

What is the weight of our new shoes? Pick the smallest answer.

How many tools does our new penknife contain? Pick the biggest answer.

How many different product categories do we make? Pick the biggest answer.

Andy Johnson 02 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

Check out the final paragraph under the heading "About Outdoor Research".

TMM 02 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Are you referring to this?

'our core sports: alpinism, rock and ice climbing, hiking, backpacking, paddling, trail running, and backcountry skiing and snowboarding.'

8 'core sports' are listed rather than 'categories of glove' which is the question we are being challenged to answer.  OR's website is quite specific and lists 6 categories for gloves for both men and women. 

I remain confused but eager to experience the warm and protective world of OR hand wear. Perhaps the cold weather is impairing my cerebral function and I require OR to also supply me with some suitable head wear so I can answer the question.

Come on OR, do the decent thing and send me some kit to warm my extremities so I can enter your competition!

TMM 02 Jan 2020
In reply to Luke90:

That seems like very reasonable logic, I agree that principle does seem to be common in these competitions.

Which of these are not listed as key attributes in our new Pack-X range of self carrying haversacks?

1. Waterproof

2. Hard wearing

3. Comfortable

4. Made from locally sourced and fully sustainable blackcurrant conserve

Post edited at 11:51
 pentland 02 Jan 2020

If you ignore the lists of glove types or used accessed through either the male or female categories, select GEAR on top menu - you'll see a list of categories under the title of GLOVES. The number of those categories matches one of the multiple choice................ so I reckon that's the answer to go with.

Their website has search filters for their gloves:

ACTIVITY

Alpine & Ice Climbing 66items

Biking 8items

Field & Stream 12items

Hiking & Backpacking 43items

Mountain Life 15items

Paddling 9items

Rock Climbing 6items

Ski & Snowboard 50items

Trail Running 19

So that would be 9? Come on OR, this is an impossible question to answer fairly. 

YourNameHere 03 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

Except that there are only 7 core sports listed:

1. alpinism
  2. rock and ice climbing
  3. hiking
  4. backpacking
  5. paddling
  6. trail running
  7. backcountry skiing and snowboarding
 Ross McGibbon 03 Jan 2020
In reply to pentland:

Don't tell them the answer!

olddirtydoggy 06 Jan 2020

Is it twelvety? There isn't a clear answer to this comp.

Chris Sansum 06 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

Maybe browse their website a bit more?

Theo Moore 08 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

Hi all,

I've checked with Outdoor Research and the answer can be found by going to https://www.outdoorresearch.com/, hovering over the Gear tab, and then counting the number of glove categories there. Good luck!

olddirtydoggy 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Theo Moore:

Thanks for the clarification but it's a bit late for that on their side to make it clear now. I assume they will be compensating this fine community with a pair of gloves each. Where should we send our details to their side?

Simon Caldwell 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Theo Moore:

All very random! For instance, if you go to Gear -> Gloves and expand Activity then you get a different number of categories.

TMM 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Theo Moore:

I would like to thank UKC and OR for offering us punters the chance to win such fine prizes but this feels like a real fail by someone to create a question where the answer is so obviously ambiguous.

If I visit the OR website and click on Men's it then shows Gloves as sub header with a further 6 categories beneath it. If I visit the Women's page it does the same. So we have the possibility of 6 or 12 as answers. 

I agree that I visit Gear then the sub header for gloves shows 8 categories. 

Most companies engaging in competitions are seeking to enhance their brand and build their relationship with their customers and potential customers. This has not be a brand positive experience. Waste of an opportunity having agreed to part with £775 (retail) worth of product.

Something similar has happened before and you pulled the competition and re-launched it with a credible question. Might be worth considering...

In reply to TMM:

Hi All,

Having had a quick scan of the entries it appears that the vast majority of the entrants have indeed managed to figure out the correct answer, whilst a handful of people here appear to be over-analysing things somewhat.

Whilst I can see how the answer could indeed be open of interpretation, it's pretty unlikely that the answer is going to be 6 or 12 when neither of those figures are options within the multiple choice - that is, after all, how multiple choice works.

Generally speaking the answers within competitions aren't overly complex, with the easiest and most obvious answer generally being the correct one. In the current set of circumstances that probably means it's going to be the number which is actually an option within the multiple choice questionnaire as opposed to the ones that aren't.

Removed User 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Theo Moore:

That gives 8, which isn't an option in the comp

La benya 16 Jan 2020

I’m never going to buy OR stuff again, purely because their question made me feel stupid. Was that the point?

Theo Moore 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Removed UserDelphzzzz:

8 is the second multiple choice option.

Ken1956 16 Jan 2020

Im glad it wasnt just me. If anyone knows the answer, dont tell them Pike.

Removed User 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Theo Moore:

oops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...