Pack advice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new climbing pack roughly 38/45 litre. I'm tall and broad (and slightly fat)

What packs are people using? I've got an old Osprey Mutant that I really like and may replace, even though the new one doesnt have the same features of the old one. Grrrr. One I can use for summer and winter.

Thanks in advance

Jockspotter 18 Dec 2019
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I've been using the Montane Fast Alpine 40 and its fantastic!

galpinos 18 Dec 2019

I have a ME Tupilak 37. Far superior to my old Mutant (Gen 2?).

Pros: Really comfy with heavy load, compacts down well, weighs nothing, pretty much waterproof, stiff back so keeps it shape whilst packing/unpacking, really nice lid/buckle system that is a doddle in gloves, does what it says on the tin.

Cons: Not cheap.

In reply to Jockspotter:

Thanks! will have badger!

In reply to galpinos:

Ta, Friend of mine has one and i'm very sold on the closure system. Will go poke one in a shop!

olddirtydoggy 18 Dec 2019

Personally I'd never buy a pack until I've loaded it on my back in a shop. I love the Lowe Alpine packs but the back system doesn't like my back shape so after a bit of hunting I've found the Montane packs suit me great. I also find Osprey don't fit me well either. No different to climbing shoes and boots I find.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

ye 100% agree with that. Just nice to get an idea of what people do and don't like/recommend!

paulmitch 18 Dec 2019

another vote for the Montane Fast Alpine. It's a cracking pack.

gravy 18 Dec 2019

I'd recommend another old Osprey Mutant!

I'm not looking forward to the day mine finally succumbs - you get good service from Osprey if it is just a matter of fixing the original

Post edited at 15:43
 Welsh Kate 18 Dec 2019
In reply to gravy:

My original Mutant went last summer when my car was stolen with all my MR kit in it. I got a replacement new model Mutant and was a bit skeptical to begin with. It is, however, a lovely pack and I actually prefer it to the original (which had the single krab loops on the hip belt that i found very irritating). The only thing I'd say about it is that I'm not entirely convinced it has the same level of toughness as the original, which survived 8 years of abuse on rescues with little complaint. It's tough, but is it up to the original?

Basemetal 18 Dec 2019

Just recently (last week) a few online retailers have had the previous 2018? Version of the Mutant 38 advertised for £50-60.

This year I'm trying a Blue Ice Warthog 40, having given up on a LA Alpine Attack ( too strappy). The Warthog looks like a tough bag with everything on it the right way round. I didn't like the minimal top pocket or the side strap barbs on the Ogre, but the shoulder straps are brilliant.

Post edited at 16:47
 Dave Garnett 18 Dec 2019
In reply to galpinos:

> I have a ME Tupilak 37. Far superior to my old Mutant (Gen 2?).

> Pros: Really comfy with heavy load, compacts down well, weighs nothing, pretty much waterproof, stiff back so keeps it shape whilst packing/unpacking, really nice lid/buckle system that is a doddle in gloves, does what it says on the tin.

All that's true.  My only gripe is that the internal drawstring closure /extension arrangement can be quite irritating in use; it makes it difficult to insert and retrieve things one-handed and effectively divides the pack into two compartments, which may not really be what you want.  

That said, I'm getting used to it and it is really light (which was my main requirement).  ME have also been really good about free repairs (after some heavy use involving crampons and lots of chimneys).     

In reply to Basemetal:

I am interested in the Blue Ice bags. Will have to try one with some weight!

vscott 19 Dec 2019

Can't really  fault force ten alpine 35 (might have been discontinued but still see about). Not the absolute lightest but just a tough simple all  round design that carries really well - only thing is to reverse the rope carry strap if using (makes sense when you see) - plenty of space inside for rope though. 

galpinos 19 Dec 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> All that's true.  My only gripe is that the internal drawstring closure /extension arrangement can be quite irritating in use; it makes it difficult to insert and retrieve things one-handed and effectively divides the pack into two compartments, which may not really be what you want.  

> That said, I'm getting used to it and it is really light (which was my main requirement).  ME have also been really good about free repairs (after some heavy use involving crampons and lots of chimneys).     

There is no internal drawstring. Do you mean the dry bag/roll top bit? I think the roll top is a bit marmite, I know some "pros" cut there's out and some love it. I stuff it down inside in the summer/dry so there is one compartment and in winter I use it as intended, it's nice to have the skins/crampons etc available without getting nice fluffy warm stuff all snowy.

Tigger 19 Dec 2019

I've just picked up a ME Ogre 40+ (I'm 6' 1") it fits well but i had to fit a bit of extra padding in the form of some old roll mat along side the back panel (extra 28g) to create a bit more padding against my hips.

I like it though, comfy when fully loaded, well thought out, sub 1kg and cheaper than a Tupilak.

Dave Garnett 19 Dec 2019
In reply to galpinos:

> There is no internal drawstring. Do you mean the dry bag/roll top bit? I think the roll top is a bit marmite, I know some "pros" cut there's out and some love it. I stuff it down inside in the summer/dry so there is one compartment and in winter I use it as intended, it's nice to have the skins/crampons etc available without getting nice fluffy warm stuff all snowy.

Sorry, yes that is what I mean.  I agree that it can useful, but also a bit of a nuisance until you’ve figured out how you’re going to use it, especially since the whole pack is fairly floppy when empty.  I’m probably nitpicking, since I also bought the pack because of its lightness!

TobyA 19 Dec 2019

What features is the new mutant missing? My review of it here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/osprey_mutant_38_pack-1134... all good except for the colour which is surprisingly annoying in bad weather. I'm currently reviewing a montane fast alpine 40, which is a really good all round British pack, although I find the frame is too long on me at 5' 10" if I have a helmet on and then climbing. But even with a medium winter climbing load in it, it still works fine without the frame in. Crux are also worth a look at that size.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...