Peroneal tendon subluxation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bensilvestre 10 Dec 2019

I had surgery a few days ago to reattach my superior peroneal retinaculum after rupturing it bouldering.

It was a slightly unfortunate accident in that the retinaculum was weakened by a rock which rolled onto my foot a few weeks ago whilst walking around barefoot at Porth Ysgo, and it only took a minor twist of the ankle to tear it. 

Misfortune aside, this seems to be a fairly uncommon injury, more readily associated with skiers than other sports. I'm wondering if anyone on here has had this op and how they've recovered from it. After a few years of being fairly committed to alpine climbing I'm discovering the delights of bouldering, and would be gutted if the curtain has closed on that one already.

rgold 10 Dec 2019
In reply to bensilvestre:

This thread on Mountain Project might be helpful https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/107673075/peroneal-tendonitiste...

OP bensilvestre 11 Dec 2019
In reply to rgold:

Oooo thanks!

OP bensilvestre 11 Dec 2019
In reply to rgold:

That was really helpful thank you. Sounds like I should be able to boulder again in 6 months or so, and most people seem to be back to climbing as well as before the injury, if not with a slightly reduced range of motion and a little pain at times. Hopefully a few months of finger boarding will see me right!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...