Winter Shell Trousers for larger quads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 08 Dec 2019

Anybody any experience with the subject in the title? Hoping for some winter climbing this season.

I have simond hardshell trousers size L which were previously (last winter) a bit tight around the upper quads and mainly tight around the waist, but workable as I could move my legs well enough to climb in. Just tried them on to see any fit changes, as I have lost some weight but gained quite a bit of muscle. They fit fine round the waist now, but not so much around my quads. I was heartily laughed at by my housemates when I asked whether they look the tight.

If there are any makes models that spring to mind to suit I would be interested to hear about them - thanks.

asteclaru 08 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Arcteryx Alpha AR are the only ones I have found that fit my quads. Granted, I haven't tried every model on the market, but that would be my recommendation. I still have to upsize, but they have braces and good waist adjustment, so it's not that big an issue.

ben b 09 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

In my household I am known as Quadzilla.

Mammut Base Camp soft-shell trousers then ME salopettes (Tupilak probably the closest version these days). Unless it is really crappy I don't need to wear the goretex at all. If really cold I wear thin merino LJs underneath.

b

asteclaru 09 Dec 2019
In reply to ben b:

I seriously doubt that your quads are that big to be honest. I've had the Tupilak salopettes before I've changed to Arcteryx and I could barely walk properly in them, let alone climb anything. They are way too restrictive if you've got big quads.

For sizing reference, the Tupilaks were XL, same as the Alpha AR I'm using now. At the waist, both are oversized for me (but, as I said, not really an issue because of the braces). I'm 178 cm/5'11" and the Tupilaks in XL were too long as well (so sizing up even more would not have been an option), whereas the Alpha AR are just about the right length.

Post edited at 08:49
 Al_Mac 09 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

My experience is that all Simond trousers are pretty tight fitting on the thighs, and baggy around the ankle - being a cyclist/mtber gives me the same problem. Every other manufacture's trousers that I've tried fit me better than Simond!

cb294 09 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Arcteryx, or Mammut in the short lengths. Nothing else fits my build. Older ME salopettes used to, but not anymore, their overall cut seems to have changed quite a bit.

CB

ben b 09 Dec 2019
In reply to asteclaru:

> I seriously doubt that your quads are that big to be honest. I've had the Tupilak salopettes before I've changed to Arcteryx and I could barely walk properly in them, let alone climb anything. 

My old ME salopettes were, I think, 2008 models - they have lasted very well indeed and the usual nicks and scrapes seem to be only cosmetic. I suspect, as per cb294, the cut has changed considerably. They leak a bit on the knees but I have no need to replace them - they were about 150 quid in 2008 so about 14 quid a year so far. They will be retired to telemark duties only soon.

I haven't tried on the current versions but based my "Tupilak probably the closest version these days" comment on web info, so my apologies if the cut has changed dramatically unbeknownst to me.

cheers

b

asteclaru 09 Dec 2019
In reply to ben b:

no worries. I suspect that the fit has indeed changed since 2008. I got mine in 2017.

I think ME trousers (not only the Tupilaks) favour tall and thin people, which is weird because their jackets are quite generously sized.

OP joe.wahab 10 Dec 2019
In reply to asteclaru:

Well thanks for the info. Better start looking at loans for these new trousers if arc'teryx is the answer! Cheers all!

OP joe.wahab 11 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Would anybody recommend something like the montane extreme salopettes? I like the idea of only having 1 layer. Seems like they could be a bit toasty slogging up hills? 

asteclaru 11 Dec 2019
In reply to joe.wahab:

Ha. Sportpursuit is the answer. That's where I've got mine and it's just about that time of the year when they are due a big Arcteryx sale.

The Alpha AR is what worked for me - undoubtedly there will be other brands that might fit the bill. The Jottnar stuff fits okay too, but it's even more expensive than Arcteryx (and not available at any meaningful discount AFAIK) and from what I've read when I was doing my own research Marmot and Mountain Hardwear might work too (but I've never gotten around to trying them).

Good luck with it.

In reply to joe.wahab:

Get a made to measure pair of Cioch Direct Sallopettes. I couldn’t be happier with the fit on mine.

They’re not even that expensive, especially considering they are hand made on Skye.

OP joe.wahab 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Wow what a service! Looks amazing! What on earth is "Renaissance" windproof?

In reply to joe.wahab:

They’re really excellent. It’s Paramo fabric made under licence.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...