V or L? (ice tool stretch lanyard config)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 05 Dec 2019

Hadn't thought about this, but watching Remi Peschier climbing, eg at 3:24 on youtube.com/watch?v=plNI_pdT2hE& he's using stretch lanyards in an L configuration. Or with the tools in series if you like, rather than the usual V from his harness.

I'm guessing this will give the option of a very long reach for one axe when you need it. Anyone tried it?

GarethSL 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

I remember discussing this a while ago, the grivel springy leash system (as used in the video) is quite a novelty. 

From the discussion it seemed apparent that the system is actually designed to be used as a V, with the leash looped to one axe and clipped to the other. There was some novel reason for this to do with making transitions easier from technical terrain with two tools to easier terrain where only one is required.

The L set up as shown seems quite OK with the leash being looped to the harness and clipped to both tools instead. Tho I only tried it on the deck, it seems most likely the L system would play havoc with getting wrapped or twisted around the rope - more so than the V system.

The interesting note from the earlier thread on this was that the grivel description states that the carabiners are supposed to be attached to the axes - ie because grivel copy/pasted the description from the version without the rotating carabiner on their website. So it is easy to assume that the L system is how it is supposed to be used.

As a side note, this incorrect description seems apparent on most websites selling the 2.0 leash, but no description is evident on the grivel website.

Old thread: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/cant_figure_out_the_new_grivel_doubl...

OP Basemetal 05 Dec 2019
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks for that Gareth- sorry I missed the earlier discussion - I'd not thought of it as a Grivel specific question so didn't search there. I might give it a try with my DMM leashes . Fankle on easier ground looks like the downside, so maybe just a trick to keep in mind for big chock stone routes?

TobyA 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

Surely that's a Y configuration not an L?

I notice at one point he leaves a spare screw hanging off the krab clipping a placed screw. Perhaps he's just really disorganized and ends up with bits of gear all over the place? My mate Ed always used to shove things in his pockets or drop them down his jacket when seconding in winter - you noticed the rack progressively getting smaller as Ed's pockets bulged with gear.

Post edited at 15:19
 vscott 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

Experimented with this a couple of times - one plus is that there's only 1 strand from the harness so fewer tangles with ropes (BUT when they happen more fiddly to unwrap) so not overly sold. Another variant have seen folk use on easier ground is to clip the second tool (end of the L) at the head allowing the shaft to be used in snow, though generally on this sort of ground probably easier to just not use tether at all.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...