Food at el chorro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gimmergimmer 03 Dec 2019

Food at el chorro. Hi. I'm going to el chorro from malaga for a week next week. Would rather use public transport but am thinking may hire a car. Am staying in en suite at el chorro. Is it possible to buy food mixed with bit of eating out etc without car hire. Thinking the odd taxi fare would be ok rather than cost and stress of car hire. Ta

Wil Treasure 03 Dec 2019
In reply to gimmergimmer:

Get the train to Alora, do a supermarket shop then get a taxi up to El Chorro. There's a very small shop in the village for basics like fruit and veg.

kylos8048 03 Dec 2019

I would do a big shop on the way. Either in Alora or Malaga. The small shop in the village can supplement anything you need. I've never had trouble getting a lift into alora in the evenings with some of the folks at the OB either. 

neilh 03 Dec 2019

Yes for eating out. 

Try https://www.facebook.com/El-nido-del-chorro-1430163300422067/

its a new place opened up in June ( signposted from the railway station bar).

its quiet as not well known at the moment. 

OP gimmergimmer 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Wil Treasure:

Thanks for your prompt reply. Are there any cafes/restaurants near el chorro? 

Wil Treasure 03 Dec 2019

I haven't been for a few years, but there used to be a cafe in the train station and a restaurant nearby. With the walkway now open I suspect there are others.

Post edited at 10:40
 Stoney Boy 03 Dec 2019
In reply to gimmergimmer

There is a superb Tandoori place in Alora just as you go in on the left. Owned by a gentleman called Farooq.

Great food in there and reasonably priced. 

The shop in El Chorro did not have milk or fresh bread and cannot be relied on. 

Post edited at 11:10
 Will Hunt 03 Dec 2019

The few retail establishments in El Chorro itself are an interesting case study in what happens when businesses exist in a competition-free environment.

neilh 03 Dec 2019

You can easily drive upto Ardales and there are some good places there. Excellent cafe which does a good English style breakfast. Also good fish restaurant. There are a few places by the lake at the north end of the walkway  but opening hours out of season are limited  

Or you go to Alaro  

in el chorro it’s a bit limited to the railway bar , the gargantum and the one I mentioned .

the area is changing because of the number of tourists on buses for the walkway. 

neilh 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

Or more likely what happens when the place does not generate visitors. It was a dying “ hamlet” even with climbers.  

HansStuttgart 03 Dec 2019

last year two enterprising Belgians cooked food in Finca de la Campana where you could join in for a small amount. You could call the Finca and ask how it is this year and whether non-residents can join in as well.

Hire a car, you will do more climbing and it will open up more areas to you. 

Food wise the supermarket in Alora is good, again best accessed by car. Trains are infrequent and you would be lucky to get a taxi in the village. 

If you choose not to hire a car, you will spend your waiting and walking time counting the pitches that you could have climbed. 

In reply to Presley Whippet:

I will take your advice and hire a car. Can you or anyone recommend a car hire firm from Malaga as getting lost in reviews and small print. Thanks

neilh 03 Dec 2019

Centauro. 

Excellent. 

Shaunhaynes99 03 Dec 2019

We hired with gold car in Spain  ealier this year.  Just go wuth super  relaxed  and then mega relaxed cover  mrs had a accident  with a fence they took the car back no questions asked no extra money to pay 

g1m147 03 Dec 2019

I hired a car off Firefly from Malaga for 25 Euro for a week (pre booked). Make sure you take out an excess cover before you go. I used leisure guard cover my excess for about £45 for 12 months.

Firefly will try hard to sell you extra cover, so make sure you check the prices at the desk.

I didn't actually use the car much once in El Chorro, stayed at the Olive Branch, which is highly recommended.

Have a good trip.

In reply to g1m147:

Thank you

Tigger 03 Dec 2019

I think the Olive branch may also allow you to dine with them if you pre book in the morning.

Usually €8-€9 for a main. The food is good and the portion sizes are huge bit you'll only get two choices per night meat or vegetarian. Honesty box system for the booze which is also pretty cheap.

Tigger 03 Dec 2019

As for a car we normal use one especially useful for areas like Desplo and Turon. We had really good service from Allincarhire Malaga, brilliant customer service and easy to use.

In reply to Tigger:

Hi Mike,

If you end up with a car try ‘La Ermita’ for authentic Spanish food. 

Its about 5 mins drive out of Chorro and the folks who run it are incredibly welcoming. 

Jay

OP gimmergimmer 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Justsomeclimber:

Thanks everyone for some great advice. 

Wimlands 04 Dec 2019

Climbed in El Chorro some years back and one memory that is still with me (alongside how much I hated walking on the walkway, and the rain) is buying tinned artichokes, broad beans and green olives from the shop and making risotto. Endlessly...

Still make the same dish

If you are en suite at Olive branch you can get veggie food or meat evening meal for €8/9 euros,they will pick you up from train station and you can pick up enough bits in town for lunches etc,there are a couple of places if u want to eat out.If you are only there for a week there is enough for you to walk to although you may be able to join others with cars going to Desplomondia.Do it on the cheap first trip then think about cars if you go with a team another time.

NigelHurst 05 Dec 2019

Malagacar were very good, bus from airport, friendly and didn't blink when we took back a filthy dust covered car after a week.

Hotel restaurant in elchorro was good, if a little pricey, train station good for a beer and a snack.

The 'shop' in el chorro was rarelt open when we there and has a very basic selection.

If you have a car drive to the lakes to the north, there's some nice eateries out that way.

If you're at the Olive branch their food is excellent and great value

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...