SURVEY: Readership Survey 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 29 Nov 2019
Since 2010 UKC/UKH have carried out a readership survey every three years and it is now time for a new one. To help improve UKC/UKH we need to know all about you: what activities you do, what sort of gear you buy and what you think about us. In return we're able to offer a wide selection of prizes, courtesy of the many brands that work with us on site.

Read more
 BrendanO 01 Dec 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Very minor thing, but having just filled it in:

foreign climbing trips - options are never, yearly, 2-4 times a year, ...

- I would have thought lots of folk go abroad climbing but maybe not every year. I'm in that bracket, maybe 3 out of 5 years I go Spain/Tenerife/Mallorca  (er, that's Spain then). I'd go more often, but dont earn lots and my wife doesnt climb, so I have to share between climbing and nonclimbing hols abroad - not a bad problem to have!!!

jbrom 01 Dec 2019
In reply to BrendanO:

I'm in a similar position. I went with yearly in the end as I do climb abroad, so never would have been less accurate than yearly.

JB 01 Dec 2019

Couldn't see an option to select fact I live in N. Ireland (was only Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England etc)

In reply to JB:

I believe our Developer was looking into this earlier today, partly as a result of this, and partly because you could - in some strange circumstances - select Awesome Walls Sheffield as your country of residence.

Hopefully this has now been sorted.

In reply to JB:

Hi JB,

The Ireland under the UK heading at the top would be the right choice but I've changed the wording on this to actually say Northern Ireland instead of just Ireland. Sorry for the confusion.

Toerag 02 Dec 2019

I've filled in the UKH version, and now it won't let me fill in the UKC version because it tells me I've already done it :-/.

Who decides on the list of manufacturers we've bought gear from? Would it be an idea to add a box for people to submit manufacturers so they can be included in future surveys. For example, I know many people have LEDLenser headtorches these days but they're not in the list.

yorkshire_lad2 02 Dec 2019

Just completed.  Would have liked "prefer not to answer" on some of the personal questions.

Paul Sagar 02 Dec 2019

Out of interest, will you make the results public or keep it confidential (understand if the latter; market sensitivity etc).

Just wondering, as would be curious to see the results.

Misha 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> you could - in some strange circumstances - select Awesome Walls Sheffield as your country of residence.

Surely not that strange and fairly accurate for some?

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Yeah, it'll take a while to process all the results but we will post something like this from the last survey https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/surveys/ukc_readership_survey_results-5...

In reply to Toerag:

Sorry about that, it does says you can only fill in one survey on the intro.

Good point on the brands. I'll make a note to add an Other entry for next time.

Mark Collins 04 Dec 2019

Before I start, is there included any way to opt out of the prizes please?

Simon Caldwell 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

After you submit the survey there's a contact details page for the prize draw with an "enter draw" option

If you answer enough questions you automatically get entered into the prize draw but consider your message here an opt-out.

The address at the end just makes sure the address on your user account is up to date for the prize send: https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/edit.php#address

Mark Collins 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks both.

AlH 05 Dec 2019

A wee point; it hasn't been MCofS for quite while now (Mountaineering Scotland or MScot if you will).

Dave Wills 05 Dec 2019

10. Have you ever been on an organised tour or expedition.

I read this as being a commercially organised trips - am I wrong ?

so what about your own expeditions ?

Leesy69 11 Dec 2019

Got to Rockfax and the page wouldnt load. Refreshed my browser and it cleared answers and started again. Cant be arsed doing it all over again sorry.

In reply to Leesy69:

Hi, sorry to hear that. It's worked fine for nearly 2,000 other people so far so not quite sure how it failed for you.

You have given me an idea on how to make it more robust and work with a page refresh though so I'll get that updated this week.

Mr Lopez 03 Jan 2020

Weird behaviour i encountered. If you hit enter when in a text box expecting a paragraph break it sends you straight to the page to confirm you want to be entered in the prize draw, which presumably if clicking yes it will finish the survey only partly completed.

Going back in the browser brings you to where you left it, but then when going ahead with the survey at the end it says 'you have already completed the survey' or somesuch.

Don't know how any of that affects the data you get or the user being entered or not in the draw

Jenny C 03 Jan 2020

Rather than like and dislike, maybe rename the buttons as agree and disagree. 

aln 03 Jan 2020

I'm trying to look at the latest photos but the box asking me to fill in the survey pops up. I've already filled it in but there doesn't seem to be an option for this. Rather annoying.

Fruit 03 Jan 2020

Hi, more than twice a week or weekends only? What if you climb once or twice a week, but during the week? 

I know, surveys are tricky to write.

cheers

In reply to aln:

If you click on the I'm not Interested button, then OK it should hide it for a day. It shouldn't show if you're logged in and already filled it in but there might be a bug on that particular page, I'll check it out.

In reply to Mr Lopez:

I think that must've been a single line text box. Submitting a form is that default action on enter with those. I've added some extra code to disable that. Thanks for reporting the problem.

In reply to aln:

Sorted the latest photos page out, shouldn't show the message anymore.

auld al 03 Jan 2020
In reply to JB

> Couldn't see an option to select fact I live in N. Ireland (was only Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England etc)

Don't know why you got a thumbs down for that, but It is fixed, just filled mine in and the option of N. I. is there now 

I filled in the UKC version and was surprised that there was no option to tell you which podcasts I listen to. I listen to a lot of podcasts, many of which have advertising/sponsorship slots and I'd love to have more UK based climbing ones to listen to.

abr1966 04 Jan 2020

I've filled it in....well done....I appreciate this forum. Its free as a user and a bonus in life.....I can't understand some of the arsey could be better type comments!

olddirtydoggy 05 Jan 2020

By putting my details in the form.

dread-i 05 Jan 2020

I found that on some the multiple check box pages, it wanted me to wait a few seconds. I could click on a few, then an enforced pause, then I could click on some more.

I'm using firefox 71 on a mac and I've disabled 'a d block plus'* and ghostery for this site. I appreciate intermittent problem are a pain to debug and there is a reasonable chance that it is local to my machine.

*Remove the space

Other than that, fairly painless.

StuPoo2 06 Jan 2020

Forgot to add this in the "anything else" bit at the end ... 

Any chance we could ring fence the political stuff in the forums?

I don't come to UKC for the politics but I know some people do.  I know its in off_belay today.

Given how "vigorous" (hate filled?) its been of late and given the amount of New/Updated Topics its taking up on a daily basis - any appetite to put it into its own category and give the rest of us the ability to suppress it?

Cheers

In reply to StuPoo2:

> Given how "vigorous" (hate filled?) its been of late and given the amount of New/Updated Topics its taking up on a daily basis - any appetite to put it into its own category and give the rest of us the ability to suppress it?

I think you're exaggerating a bit about the political threads. I've just scrolled down the last 80-100 topics and can only find 2 that are political.

planetmarshall 06 Jan 2020

> Hi, sorry to hear that. It's worked fine for nearly 2,000 other people so far so not quite sure how it failed for you.

With respect, that kind of sounds like the stock Software Developer's "It can't possibly be my fault" response (speaking as a software developer). You may well be right, but a bug with a 1/2000 recurrence rate is, in my opinion, way below the threshold of "never".

In "Debugging and the Five Stages of Grief", Denial is Step 1

graeme jackson 06 Jan 2020

in some of the questions we're given a choice of excellent, good, average, poor etc.  could these not also have a 'no opinion' box?  For example, I've never used rockfax or bought a rockfax guide but I don't get a chance to avoid the question.

StuPoo2 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Text = "climb" ... 1728 messages found in 600 threads last 6 months.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&n...

Text = "Corbyn" ... 1610 messages found in 146 threads last 6 months.

Text = "Tories" ... 1112 messages found in 155 threads last 6 months.

Cheers.

In reply to StuPoo2:

I think the balance is about right. Anyway, that's the uncensored reality of life. It shows that a huge number of people care very deeply about things that go far beyond mere climbing. The whole very scary political context we're in. You imply by your tone, and earlier posts, that blinkers and earplugs are the best way forward. As I understand it, you're actually demanding censorship of this website.

Post edited at 00:18
 ian caton 07 Jan 2020

Mrs was brassed off that she had to enter member of regional club because Pinnacle club wasn't in the list of national clubs. 

StuPoo2 07 Jan 2020

How did you get to demanding censorship?  I said "ring fence the political stuff in the forums ... any appetite to put it into its own category?".  ??????

I am asking only if there is appetite for a climbing website to focus, primarily, on climbing rather than, occasionally, being hijacked for coarse political debate.  I do not think the UKC forums were a pleasant place to spend time in Nov/Dec ... it put me off the site for a while.  Maybe I was in the minority?

Imagine new people to climbing (Imagine people that have been climbing for 20 years!).  They google "climbing the UK" and rightly google gives them back UKC.  I cannot imagine they turned up here thinking "I bet UKC will be a hot bed of political discourse".  They probably came to the site hoping to read about climbing.  Instead they found forums with a lot (not all) people screaming at one another and calling one another names.  Nice!

I am only making the case that, at times, its felt that the balance of the forums slipped too far away from climbing, climbing life style, gear etc ... Maybe there is a case for re-balancing them?

Cheers.

StuPoo2 07 Jan 2020

Jeeeeez Gordon ... I just read your profile ....

You have basically documented there exactly how I experienced in the UKC forums in Nov/Dec 2019.  Maybe the future of the UKC forums is periodic bouts of "domination by extremists"?  

It is positive to note that you did see the forums return to normal at one point in the past.  

"Anything Else We Should Know
Feb 2018. Since I wrote the above, the effects of the disastrous referendum have gone from bad to worse, splitting the country up and down as Leavers foment hatred and further division. Unfortunately, this phenomenon has spilled over to the once-excellent UKC forums, so that they are now more or less dominated by extremists (with the exception of three or four brave voices) – some of the worst culprits appearing not to be climbers at all. 

Aug 2018. Happy to see that my comment above is no longer correct. The forums now seem much more balanced and are returning to their former excellence.
"

Sir Chasm 07 Jan 2020
In reply to StuPoo2:

If you want to avoid political discussions have you tried looking in the forums titled Rocktalk, Hilltalk, Bouldering, Expeditions and Alpine, Destinations, Walls and Training, Gear, Crag Access, Running, Biking, Skiing or Winter Climbing?

Qwerty2019 07 Jan 2020
In reply to StuPoo2:

Careful you will be accused of backing up your claims with real supporting information.  This goes against anything that is posted in political threads and will turn them into mouth frothing monsters.  I for one agree with you, get the politics, angry venomous posts into its own little box.  It overpowers everything else.

john arran 07 Jan 2020
In reply to StuPoo2:

The non-climbing stuff is already well separated, so what you appear to be asking for is pretty much already there.

Go to User Options, click on the Forum tab, then uncheck the boxes for Pub and Off Belay.

Sorted.

mav 07 Jan 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

> Just completed.  Would have liked "prefer not to answer" on some of the personal questions.

I'd agree. 

- to those reviewing the answers at UKC, I ticked >£100k pa as my earnings. I sadly don't earn over £100k, but don't want to give you the real figures. So deduct 1 from the number who say they earn that. 

Simon Caldwell 07 Jan 2020
In reply to mav:

I just left the earnings one unanswered, and it didn't object.

kaiser 07 Jan 2020

I stopped at Q2.  Why is Scrambling not listed?  

It's depressing when a climbing website ignores one the the sport's most popular aspects. 

Padraig 07 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News

wow! Looks like survey has been a bust!!!??

Scouser 09 Jan 2020

Missing of the list: Altberg, H/H, Giegerrig, GoPro....

I personally would like to see more articles on trigbaging and UK long distance hikes.

LeeWood 09 Jan 2020
In reply to john arran:

Howabout a new forum to make Off Belay politics free -

it could be called .... Politics

FreshSlate 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Padraig:

What makes you say that?

Dragonfly63 09 Jan 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News: At the beginning of the survey it said if you are not a climber to still submit as you want to know how many readers aren’t climbers.  At the end of the survey it told me that I had only completed 42% and wouldn’t be included in the draw.  I don’t mind this but how many people will give fictitious answers to try to win a prize.  Very short sighted!

The survey has now finished. We had a fantastic response with over 6800 completed surveys which is an amazing figure! 

Thanks a lot to everyone who made the effort. This data is invaluable for us and our surveys are becoming extremely significant within the whole outdoor trade. Apologies for the people who had to put up with our persistence in asking for responses for whatever reason.

We will be producing a full report in the next few weeks.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...