NEWS: Kendal Mountain Festival 2019 - Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 20 Nov 2019
Another edition of the Kendal Mountain Festival has been and gone. 2019 proved to be a vintage year, judging by the opinions of various visitors, industry professionals and volunteers we spoke to over the weekend. An expanded Kendal Mountain Literature programme and diverse events revolving around this year's theme of 'openness' resulted in a wide-ranging and welcoming festival with something for everyone.

Read more
 jezb1 20 Nov 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Do you know if the film about Emma will be available anywhere?

Mark Collins 20 Nov 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I always enjoy the festival, but Otter's in the Kent has to be the highlight. Hopefully there'll be more fringe events like this next year. Thanks to the sharp eyed Neil Henson for spotting.

Offwidth 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Mark Collins:

What was that? I missed it!

It was good to see kiosk food locally sourced again but there were too few venues in the Brewery area for food and drink (especially for coffee in the film breaks ... since you had to queue, buy and drink it before re-entering) as the Brewery doesn't seem to want to have much competition. Please bring back Rins and everyone wins!

https://rinscoffee.com

The main bar shut again at 12 midnight on Friday. This is a major international festival with well behaved clientelle, so surely a slightly longer extension is possible on one of the two main evenings when people are staying. Meeting presenters, volunteers and other visitors is one of the big positives of the festival.

I really enjoyed the free talks but as basecamp was really crazy rammed at times over the weekend and people were sitting for a rest and chat, rather than interest in the talk, it was sometimes hard to concentrate. It was easier to listen to the Columbia talks as they were off to the side. It was so busy at times I'd shudder to think what would have happened if a fire started in basecamp.

Talks and literature events seem to be the usual high quality. The film lineup was excellent but I heard loads of people grumbling about booking film tickets.  The old day pass worked well on the Friday but was a clear problem on Saturday and Sunday, so I understand that something had to change. The new system meant many people were signing up to 90 minute sessions without knowing what films they contained, until they got hold of the paper festival guide (unless they were a labyrinth genius and managed to navigate things on the website). Having an allocated seat was a major bonus to many I spoke to. If this booking process continues for films, some better advanced info is required or a return to topic titles like snow sport, environment etc. 

In reply to jezb1:

Hi Jez,

Just had word back from Dave Petts: 

"the festival will be going on tour now to 18 venues, but it will also be at SHAFF and I’m working some international festivals - after that it'll be on BMC TV'.

Hope that's of help.

Post edited at 14:41
 jezb1 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Hi Jez,

> Just had word back from Dave Petts: 

> "the festival will be going on tour now to 18 venues, but it will also be at SHAFF and I’m working some international festivals - after that it'll be on BMC TV'.

> Hope that's of help.

Nice one, thanks!

In reply to Offwidth:

Got to agree on the website, it can't be that hard to have links from the spreadsheet programme thing to what they contain, without having to go to another page to see what 'Collection B' is for example.

My personal (tongue in cheek) top tip for the event would be that eveyone attending has to wear a visible name badge the whole time, I can't be the only one who meets people I obviously know and they know me, but can I remember their name at the time...

In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe:

> My personal (tongue in cheek) top tip for the event would be that eveyone attending has to wear a visible name badge the whole time, I can't be the only one who meets people I obviously know and they know me, but can I remember their name at the time...

I know what you mean Glyn.

bouldery bits 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> What was that? I missed it!

> It was good to see kiosk food locally sourced again but there were too few venues in the Brewery area for food and drink (especially for coffee in the film breaks ... since you had to queue, buy and drink it before re-entering) as the Brewery doesn't seem to want to have much competition. Please bring back Rins and everyone wins!

Hear hear!

laaljohn 21 Nov 2019

Obviously I wasn't there, but unfortunately you probably saw mink, not  otters, in the Kent.They're  a common sight in the river. They are still beautiful but shouldn't really be there. I'd love to stand corrected though if they genuinely were otters.

planetmarshall 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> The new system meant many people were signing up to 90 minute sessions without knowing what films they contained, until they got hold of the paper festival guide (unless they were a labyrinth genius and managed to navigate things on the website). 

The website is needlessly complex, I think there are something like half a dozen steps to booking a ticket.

I was surprised no app was available - something simple that shows what's on when, what's sold out and has all your tickets in a single place rather than having to hunt through emails.

If anyone at KMF is listening, my rates are very reasonable...

Mark Collins 21 Nov 2019
 Dark-Cloud 21 Nov 2019
In reply to laaljohn:

Yep, stand corrected, Otters have been back and forwards on the Kent through town for a number of years now, we saw they a couple of years back with kits too.

But i can also confirm there is Mink too, along with Heron, Dippers, Cormorant and many other amazing wildlife, quite how long this will last when they start bulldozing in for the flood defences we have to wait and see...

Neil Henson 21 Nov 2019

Thanks Mark

Neil Henson 21 Nov 2019
In reply to laaljohn:

> Obviously I wasn't there, but unfortunately you probably saw mink, not  otters, in the Kent.They're  a common sight in the river. They are still beautiful but shouldn't really be there. I'd love to stand corrected though if they genuinely were otters.

Pretty sure they were otters based on a lifelong interest in wildlife and observing them for several minutes at fairly close proximity. Couldn't state with 100% certainty though. See Mark's photo.

Mark Collins 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Neil Henson:

> Thanks Mark

No worries mate, credit where credits due

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...