Hurray for an auction site

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 19 Nov 2019

This month I've managed to buy

A new (old) saddle for my turbo trainer bike. A very pretty fizik antares in white and black. My old flite saddle had become uncomfy, and this is better. Od the seat pin doesn't allow me to bring the saddle nose down at all... Old campag. 

A pair of integrated handlebars to fit my tri bars onto (drops bar with reinforced central area to fit a tri bar) 

Some molten speed wax to try to wax my chain next summer on the best bike. 

The handlebars were expensive, but the others were reasonable price. I could not get the handle bars new from canyon, but I'm happy that my bike can now be a tri bike for the number of triathlon that I do ( about 2 per year!) 

Anyone else wax their chain rather than oil it? 

cb294 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Dave B:

Over the summer I built a nice mountain bike (Santa Cruz Bronson CC) as birthday present for my wife, entirely from used parts, except for the chain and cassette. I bought all parts through various sites, no problem at all with the 20 odd separate orders. Everything was delivered quickly and in the state specified.

Last year, however, I lost €1100 on the same site trying to buy a bike for myself. I fell victim to an identity thief who had hijacked a legit user account and managed to open a bank account with a new internet bank that subsequently got bad press for deliberately lax identity checks.

Lesson learned, no more business with anyone with an account at n26 bank, ever.

CB

OP Dave B 19 Nov 2019
In reply to cb294:

Cool project. I'm not sure I'd feel skilled enough to build a whole bike...

Bugger about the identity theft issue. I almost fell for one about 15 years ago when I was looking for a second hand camera. The price was good - and then they asked for payment outside of paypal. I reported it and the issue was resolved. I'll have to be more careful - as I've got a bit complacent recently. Did you every get the money back or not... I'm guessing not.

Removed User 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Dave B:

Chain wax is a waste of time in UK weather. Even on a good weather bike the noise is irritating and light oil is a better bet.

In reply to Dave B:

I wax my bike and motorbike chain. Once every two weeks I spray it with paraffin, leave a few minutes then scrub it with a chain brush, spray again. Then wipe clean with a cloth and spray with wax. (that's motorbike as it gets loads of use this time of year commuting)

I am in the process of choosing a new bike. Still undecided but in no rush. I took delivery of a Wattbike Atom a while ago and have just installed a remote controlled wall mounted fan and TV on the wall. Buying a Roku stick for tv to watch Sky sports (mainly football) for the longer sessions on the Atom. All that was purchased of the "other" shopping site that doesn't offer auctions  

cb294 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Dave B:

No, the police never caught the guy. Instead I have joined an effort to have the license of the bank permanently revoked. Essentially they had allowed everyone to open a bank account without any formal ID process (e.g. by having an official photo ID validated at the local post office, which is what other internet banks here in Germany do). Instead, they were happy for potential customers to show their ID card via Skype, so any crude fake could pass. Clearly, this business model is aimed at dodgy money. 

For this they are in hot waters with the German banking authorities anyway, due to the obvious issues with terrorism and organized crime, so hopefully they will eventually get closed down. Alternatively, since this summer most building societies and mutuals here refuse making any transactions with N26 due to frequent fraud by N26 customers. If we could get some other banking groups to join that boycott it would hopefully break their back.

CB

OP Dave B 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

This is for a dry weather only bike. For the commute/wet weather bike I use oil. 

Post edited at 15:41
OP Dave B 19 Nov 2019
In reply to cb294:

Bummer. Never heard of the bank.. I see they are in the UK. Another thing to watch out for.. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...