B3 boots with or without gaitors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Salm0n 19 Nov 2019

Hi all,

So I'm off to cogne next year for some ice climbing and was looking at suitable boots to get. They will be used for some ice climbing/ Scottish climbing and some summer stuff in the Alps.

I tried the scarpa MBP at the weekend and was suggested in the shop to get that, although looking online once I was back I wondered if the phantom tech might be a better choice for insulation?

Just wondered what the general consensus was with the most suitable. I'm also looking to maybe just rent them to keep the cost down.

Cheers

Sam

Nempnett Thrubwell 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Salm0n:

Only my tuppence worth but:

When it comes to ice climbing - I firmly view gaitors as "sacrificial protection" to protect my trousers from being shredded by crampons. - Especially if you need to crampon-up for any part of the walk in. 

Dark-Cloud 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

I presume he's talking about a boot with integrated gaiters, in which case you definitely wouldn't want to treat them as sacrificial

OP Salm0n 19 Nov 2019

Yeah sorry integrated gaitors with the boots.

Long of the short being what are downsides of boots with integrated gaitors. From what I can tell they might get a bit hotter in summer?

ScraggyGoat 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Salm0n:

They take longer to dry; if you get them soaked

If you trash them, you have to fix them otherwise the hole(s) act as trip hazards when wearing crampons.

If the zip breaks they then need professional repair

Some models aren't long enough for deep, or crusty post-holing snow.

Mark Haward 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Salm0n:

Personally I prefer not to use built in gaiters. For me they are often too warm, there are many occasions when I don't need gaiters or use very short ones and also, as someone else has said, gaiters often get trashed so I usually get cheap and cheerful ones.

nufkin 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Salm0n:

As a counter to the prevailing opinion in the replies so far, I think integrated gaitors are great, especially if you have an internal gaitor on your trousers too. They're less faff overall and the improved sleekness both reduces the snagability of your boots and makes you look cooler. They might be warmer than ungaitored boots, but in winter that's probably a good thing. In summer, you could fold the gaitor bit down, or wear something else

nniff 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Salm0n:

Gaiters stop draughts, snow and water from going up my trouser legs.

Gators, on the other hand, are bitey bastards that live in Florida

OP Salm0n 20 Nov 2019

Cheers guys, I now know what will keep my feet dry/wet and also attached/not attached to my legs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...