Grivel ice axes-news?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanielJ 19 Nov 2019

Anyone got a hold on the Dark Machines? Are they available somewhere? 

What's happening with the North machine? They seem to be on sale a lot nowadays, are they being replaced?

KevHutchinson 23 Nov 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

North Machines still in the range. All Machines have been updated for this season to feature the Vario Blade system.

The new blade system is compatible with the previous machine models too. Neater hammer, adze or simple options.

Gawyllie 24 Nov 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

Dark Machines popping up on websites now but not in stock. Seen them on Needlesports, ellis bringham and trekinn. Trek inn have a delivery date of 5th of December.

Pay Attention 24 Nov 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

They have an interesting geometry which offers a lot of capability....  Looks good, but the price will be a problem.

OP DanielJ 24 Nov 2019
In reply to Gawyllie:

Ive seen them on needlesport with price but not on the others. I got the feeling that needlesport doesn't do general black Friday sales? Their pair price might be as good as it gets?

OP DanielJ 24 Nov 2019
In reply to Pay Attention:

Yeah, they're very expensive. However, I'm a full blown gear whore and these things are smokin hot

DaveHK 24 Nov 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

> I'm a full blown gear whore and these things are smokin hot

I'm still in the closet about that but clearly you're out!

Post edited at 20:12
 Pay Attention 25 Nov 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

I notice that the Dark Machine does not have a ferrule or a hole in the base. It is truly leashless.

This puts it outside my capability and also outside my means.  If it's still available (?) the Grivel Master alloy Small Piolet based on the Reparto Corse would be a far more economical proposition.

It would be awful to be overgripping the tool but even worse to lose grip and drop it. 

CORRECTION : There is a Dark Machine X which is dedicated for extreme dry tooling and competition climbing.   It is this model which doesn't have a ferrule.   There's a mix up on some pictures.

Post edited at 08:37
 ColdWill 26 Nov 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

Tiso in Perth have them for £320 each, they are nice but Carbon in Scotland!

OP DanielJ 27 Nov 2019
In reply to ColdWill:

I'm not planning to use them in Scotland. I Mostly climb pure ice in Norway, maximum would maybe be the odd mixed pitch and alpine.

ColdWill 08 Dec 2019
In reply to DanielJ:

Fair one, then they are good for that. I have the carbon quantum tech for anything alpine. Uk  buyers are probably waiting for stock and the obvious Tech Machine with carbon handle/Dark Machine with aluminium shaft that is no doubt on the way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...