Oh, Montane! Why change something so good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emily_pipes 17 Nov 2019

Last night, I was scouring the web for Montane Terra Guide pants because my partner has had some for about four winter seasons, and they haven't got any holes and have proven themselves as an excellent, rugged Scottish winter softshell, one of the few that fit people with short legs (both myself and OH) without weirdly bunching cuffs.  Imagine my dismay when I discovered Montane no longer makes these!  It looks as if they've replaced it with something called the Skyline, and that only seems to be offered in one leg length -- which will probably be too long.  And yes, we've hunted for end-of-line sales but there appears to be nothing in our size.

Not the first time and definitely won't be the last time a gear company has a nearly perfect thing, but the economy and culture and capitalism being what they are, they feel compelled to redesign and redevelop and somehow come up with something inferior.  Maybe the Skylines are fantastic winter trousers, but they're likely to be of no use to us without short leg lengths. 

It's a joy, not being not the size of your average guy or the shape of Naomi Campbell (more or less much how most women's gear fits... I think that's who they design it for). 

Post edited at 22:16
 Southvillain 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Emily_pipes:

Have you looked at the Super Terra's? Especially for winter use. I bought a pair, then bought a pair of the (thinner, fewer-pocketed) Terra's for summer use. But, unless the weather's really hot I prefer the Super Terra's all-year round, mainly because of all the pockets and harder-wearing knees/backside. And the Super Terra's do come in all lengths. I've used the ST's on Skye, winter hill walking etc. Tough as nails.  I know they only do them in `mens' but worth ordering a pair and seeing if they fit?

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/super-terra-pants-p303

Jamie Wakeham 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Southvillain:

How are the Super Terras in terms of waterpoof-ness?  Do they hold up against a proper downpour?

Southvillain 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

They hold up well to rain. I have put on overtrousers on a day that p*ssed down all day long, but other than that (e.g. showers) I don't.

olddirtydoggy 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Emily_pipes:

The Montane outlet in Durham have an ebay shop that might help or you could contact them. They have a good Facebook page.

LastBoyScout 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Emily_pipes:

I, and I'm sure everyone else, could add a long list of "redesign for the sake of redesign" disappointments.

I'm looking at YOU: Endura, North Face, Teva, Lowe Alpine, Nike for starters.

I very much regret not buying a pair of the original Mammut Base Jump trousers, but I just didn't have a need for them at the time.

Post edited at 22:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...