Cheap waterproof trousers to pass kit check.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 her_t6 10 Nov 2019

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for cheap waterproof trousers to pass kit check in a running event. At the moment I'm not wanting to spend alot of money until I get time to go try some proper ones on and get ones that will do for years to come.  Ideally I'm looking for something lightweight, will pass kit check(taped seems) and hopefully only need them in the event if I get injured. 

Cheers,

Post edited at 18:46
 Michael Hood 10 Nov 2019
In reply to her_t6:

I've been thinking about similar - Pete Bland sports (and other places) have "Mac in a Sac" for £20 which I presume is what you're looking for,

DaveHK 10 Nov 2019
In reply to her_t6:

I have Mountain Warehouse Isodry ones. 14.99, really light and actually work quite well.

OP her_t6 10 Nov 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Thank you, they look ideal!

OP her_t6 10 Nov 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks will check them out, great price!

Hat Dude 11 Nov 2019
In reply to her_t6:

Decathlon Quechua NH500 for £8.99

oldie 11 Nov 2019
In reply to her_t6:

Have Summit waterproof jacket in pouch, 190g, £10.99 from local hardware store.....works OK for the few times I've worn it. Store also had matching overtrousers (quick look shows they are on ebay at comparable price).

Michael Hood 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Decathlon Quechua NH500 for £8.99

Taped seams?

If so then Decathlon's due a visit methinks

Edit: Just in case people haven't read through or realised - the taped seams for waterproof top and trousers is a Fell Running Association rule for waterproofs for all events run under their rules (I'd have to check but the kit is mandatory on all events above a certain length/severity, but I think at organiser/controller discretion on "easier" events. However, when waterproofs are required - they always need to have taped seams).

Virtually all "mountain" events will be run under FRA rules, which presumably have to be adhered to so as to comply with insurance requirements, etc.

Now I'm sure you can get away without taped seams some of the time, but that's only until you get picked for a kit check, at which point you will either not be allowed to start or will be disqualified.

Since waterproofs are only donned in most of these events when either the weather is absolutely horrendous, or you've had to completely slow down or stop (injury?), they're not actually used very often. Hence the desire to have something as cheap (and compact/light) as possible.

Post edited at 21:31
 oldie 12 Nov 2019
In reply to oldie:

> Have Summit waterproof jacket in pouch, 190g, £10.99 from local hardware store.....works OK for the few times I've worn it. Store also had matching overtrousers (quick look shows they are on ebay at comparable price). <

Incidentally these Summit cheapos do have taped seams.

Hat Dude 12 Nov 2019

> Taped seams?

Yes if they are the same as the ones I've had for 3 or 4 years.

They've become the waterproof trousers I take out most; they keep out rain, wind & pack down to approx tennis ball size.

Probably not what you'd set out in for a full on wild and wet day but ideal when there's a possibility of rain.

thelostjockey 20 Nov 2019
In reply to oldie:

Sorry to be thick, but where did you get your Summit trousers? With thanks.

oldie 20 Nov 2019
In reply to thelostjockey:

You're not being thick whatsover....I didn't say where. It was Nixons Home Hardware in Swanage. I've also seen what appeared to be the same on ebay, and I think also at a higher price on Amazon. As I said I actually bought the jacket, but matching trousers were also on sale (presumably cheaper than the jacket).

Dave Cundy 21 Nov 2019

+1 for the Mac in a Sac.  I've had a pair for a few years - mainly used for cycle touring.  I like them because the inside is very slippery, so they don't 'pull' on my legs while I'm pedalling (as some 'rubbery' ones do).  The velcro ties at the ankles were in a useless place, so i unstitched them and moved them round a bit.

Simon Caldwell 21 Nov 2019

> Since waterproofs are only donned in most of these events when either the weather is absolutely horrendous, or you've had to completely slow down or stop (injury?), they're not actually used very often. Hence the desire to have something as cheap (and compact/light) as possible.

So because they're only used in situations where something decent is needed, people go for the flimsiest option available. Barking mad.

And yes I'm guilty of the same thing myself

Unfortunately "cheap" and "light" are usually mutually exclusive. For light, something like the Inov-8 Ultra takes some beating, but doesn't give you a lot of change from £80.

Montane Minimus are a bit more robust, but also a bit more expensive.

When the weather is really awful I take my Rab Firewall, which are normally reserved for winter walking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...