Time to save for a new tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wildernesswalker 03 Nov 2019

I've had my Coleman Phad X3 for over 10 years, it's done me well in the hills in high winds, snow and all night rain.

I'm finding more and more that I'm getting damp and water drops in the morning on the groundsheet under sleeping mats and bags.

I'm assuming it's because they are pushing into the ground water. Could it be condensation running to the lowest point?

How do I know if the groundsheet is gone?

Also any recommendations for sub 5kg 3 man semi/geodesic for mainly cold season wild use?

Thanks!

Post edited at 14:23
 IPPurewater 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Wildernesswalker:

It seems that the waterproofing on the gronud sheet may be worn out.

You can reproof it easily and cheaply using bathroom silicon rubber sealant. Mix the sealant 1 to 1 with white spirit and paint it on the outside of the groundsheet. Make sure it is clean first. Air it for at least a week after to get rid of the white spirit smell. The tent may weigh a bit more afterwards.

Dave the Rave 03 Nov 2019
In reply to IPPurewater:

Or just use Fabsil Gold.

Wildernesswalker 03 Nov 2019

Thank you both!

Jon Read 03 Nov 2019

Can you cut a piece of heavy duty sheeting to size, as an extra groundsheet? Won't help if water gets between them, but should improve the situation considerably, I'd have thought?

pec 03 Nov 2019

> Also any recommendations for sub 5kg 3 man semi/geodesic for mainly cold season wild use?

I think you'd struggle to find such a tent that didn't weigh less than 5kg. 5kg is a beast of a tent!

ben b 04 Nov 2019

Echo the advice re groundsheets. However if you want to replace with something similarly indestructible, I'd go for a Macpac Aspiring - 3 people, 4.5kg, built like a brick privvy.

b

Andypeak 04 Nov 2019

A few companies will sew you a new ground sheet in. Scottish Mountain Gear are one

Andypeak 04 Nov 2019

A few companies will sew you a new ground sheet in. Scottish Mountain Gear are one

Andypeak 04 Nov 2019

MischaHY 04 Nov 2019

Hilleberg Saivo is around 5KG and is an absolute bomb shelter: https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/black-label-tents/saivo/ 

My typical recommendation would be the Jannu but it's only 2-man: 

https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/red-label-tents/jannu/ 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...