Sizeing Mountain Equipment Hardshell jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Telemark 02 Nov 2019

Sorry for this long text, but this is driving me mad... ME is a rare beast where I live (Sweden).

I'm on the hunt for a new hardshell jacket and the ME Tupilak seems to have all I want and nothing more, perfect. No small zippers that I will break, not overly expensive etc. Problem is I've only seen it live in size small. I almost always end up between size M and L wich har given me a few bad fits over the years. I'm 180 cm, 85 kg (5'11, 187 lbs). A bit long arms. Chest circumference is 103 cm/40.5", which puts me in size M according to ME size chart (102-107 cm)

Recently I had the possibility to try on a ME Odessy jacket in size M.  This dri lite hard shell was perfect everywhere except around the chest where it was oddly tight. Arm length, waist etc was spot on. If Tupilak has the same fit I'm afraid a L will be too big everywhere except around the chest. 

I also tried a Eco soft shell jacket in M and L, the M (my size according to the  too the chart) was way to small all over and L was perfect.

Over the years I've had quite a few hardshells Arcteryx Alpha is a tad to small in M (mostly arm length) which made me by an L, fitting like a sack. Berghaus size L is about right, maybe on the large side. Crux Flak jacket size L is perfect.

What is your advice on the Tupilak? Anyone else that have chosen to size up from the ME size chart?

John Ww 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

I’ve just had exactly the same dilemma with a Mountain Equipment Changabang (one model up from the Tupilac). I’m almost always a medium, but it just seemed a bit tight under the armpits, so I had to go for a large, which is (unsurprisingly) a bit baggy. However, as I need it for off-skiing, I’ll always be wearing a rucksack, so that isn’t too much of a problem. Bit of a bugger when you can’t get a £400 jacket to fit though

DaveHK 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

The sizing varies quite a bit depending on the model. I've been a small in some ME jackets and a medium in others. I went up to a M in the Gandiva jacket I just bought but was a S in the Saltoro I tried on.

Martin Bennett 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

I'm a medium - 40" chest; 33" waist - in most things including much of what ME makes but when it comes to hardshells I have ME Firefox and ME Lhotse both in Large.

Telemark 02 Nov 2019

Thanks, useful answers this far, even though I'm still not sure how to do. I checked out the Gandiva, Saltoro and Changabang. ME seems to have named their different fit, but I have no idea how consistent they are within each fit type?

Eco and Gandiva are active fit. Saltoro, Oddesy, Lhotse and Tupilak are alpine fit. Changabang is Mountain fit.

Probably changabang M would fit me, but it is overly heavy for my needs. Gandiva L might also be a good fit, but not the sturdy jacket I was originally looking for. Sigh.

Telemark 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

You seem to be my size, 33" and 40". Lhotse should be the same fit as Tupilak. Maybe I should order a L after all. May I ask how tall you are?

peanuts 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

I use ME all the time, always size small - I have softshells and midlayers in S that fit really snug & nice, the insulated jackets similarly fit nice.  HOWEVER I bought a Changabang jacket in S and it felt huge, particularly the sleeves.  I understand the extra length at the hem and sleeve but it felt very baggy.

So basically I found their hardshell sizing very different from their sizing for other tops/garments - it felt a much looser and bigger fit.  I have however persisted with the Changabang, the extra hem length and baggy feel are not so excessive to interfere with harness, and the sleeves can be sinched with the velcro & it's a moot point with gloves on.

hope this helps.

Dave the Rave 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

Hi I’ve just bought the ME Kongur MRT in Xl . I’m six foot sixteen stone with a 45’’ chest.

The coat fits fine with room for layers.

I got a good deal £320 and excellent customer service from Hill and Dale outdoors.

Martin Bennett 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

Hi. Yes, ask away. I'm down to about 5'10" now. I believe it can be compaction of the spine and/or fallen arches that cause the decreased stature that comes with venerable age. Whichever, I'm an inch shorter than I once was.

> You seem to be my size, 33" and 40". Lhotse should be the same fit as Tupilak. Maybe I should order a L after all. May I ask how tall you are?

Telemark 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Then we are almost exactly the same size. A Tupilak L it is! Thanks. I

I've also considered the Firefox successor Gandiva, but I don't think it would put up with semi heavy packpaks (12 kg) and alpine skiing, my main area of use of a hardshell . Maybe it's a good idea to have both, I've always only had one shell jacket at a time.

(My 180 cm is early in the morning, I shrink more than a cm during the day. )

Post edited at 16:03
 DaveHK 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Telemark:

> I've also considered the Firefox successor Gandiva, but I don't think it would put up with semi heavy packpaks (12 kg) and alpine skiing,

I have the Gandiva, it's nice but I don't think it would last very well with that usage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...