Campervan skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 31 Oct 2019

Hi I'm planning on spending 3 months in France/austria this winter staying in my vw. I would prefer campsites to aires for winter comfort. But prefer to be in resort rather than valley based with long drives each day. if i m staying at an aire then a nearby swimming pool would be advantageous for showering. I've got sites sorted for st anton, kitzbuhel and ski welt.  I like the bigger ski areas with lots of mileage. As a solo traveller the cost of paying for apartments for one becomes quite expensive.

Thinking of les lanchettes camping in paradiski. I know there is an aire at la plagne, but I prefer les arcs with an odd day in la plagne. Ideally would like to stay in vallandry.

For the grand massif i would like to stay in flaine or les carroz, but no campsite there. Anyone know about long-term car parks there near the lifts? Otherwise I'm looking at le griffe camping in samoens.

I've never been to espace killy and fancy going on this trip. But can't find anywhere suitable for the van. Any ideas?

The 3 valleys is my other destination. There appears to be somekind of site at le martagon near meribel. Otherwise it's parking in Val thorens. It's £170 to park a motorhome for a week in the car park (No facilities) or £70 per week for the covered garage for vehicles under 2.20m. Do you think I could get away with sleeping in the covered garage? Seems crazy to pay an extra £100 when there are no facilities there. Any other suggestions welcome. thanks

Post edited at 17:23
 Dogwatch 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

Ask on Snowheads, there are skiers who stay in campervans there. 

John2 31 Oct 2019

Your only hope in the Éspace Killy is the large car park at Tignes les Brevieres, right on the edge of the lift system. As far as I know, camper vans are still tolerated there in winter.

r.king 31 Oct 2019
In reply to John2:

I stayed a couple weeks in Tignes last year. The ticket attendants warned that camping wasn't allowed and they would be checking but we never got any hassle. Looked like a few full timers there. 

Alternatively you can park in the village  below the dam for free. Less exposed so weather dependent a better option.

Regarding other areas, Les Arc - stayed in free roadside parking in a couple of the lower villages. Plus parked outside pool/sports centre in Bourg for a couple nights.  Verbier - long stay parking in Le Chable is possible if you go to the tourism office and pay the 2 CHF tax per night. There is a toilet here and next to gondola. 

Generally found the bigger/fancier areas to be much harder with a van. Normally best to look for a smaller / lower town linked in to them for parking.

Post edited at 18:54
 marsbar 31 Oct 2019

The swimming pool at Tignes is free with a lift pass. 

John2 31 Oct 2019
In reply to r.king:

Yes, the village below the dam - Tignes les Brevieres.

Removed User 31 Oct 2019
In reply to r.king:

The skiing at verbier looks extensive which I like, so it might be worth a visit. Thanks

Dark-Cloud 31 Oct 2019

Verbier is great, lift passes are a bit steep though, in summer there is camper parking further up to espace St Marc, not sure if it’s still there in winter,  you might be better staying round in La Tzoumaz Ot Nendaz, it’s all linked.

DaveHK 31 Oct 2019
In reply to John2:

> Your only hope in the Éspace Killy is the large car park at Tignes les Brevieres, right on the edge of the lift system. As far as I know, camper vans are still tolerated there in winter.

I had a week in my van in Val d'Isere one year with no issues and when I went back the next year absolutely everywhere you could possibly put a van in was either blocked off or had a height restriction. They've really cracked down.

There are lots of options in the Aosta valley with decent van spots. La Thuile, Courmayeur, Cervinia, have loads of skiing and there are other smaller resorts you could visit for a day or two like Alagna for some lift accessed off piste.

There's also amazing touring and ski mountaineering in that area.

Post edited at 20:30
 John2 31 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

It used to be possible to stay in the car park at La Daille in Val d'Isere in a camper van, but this was stopped after some of the campers were found to be selling drugs. I wish you would not argue with me when I say that the only place it is possible to stay in a van in the Éspace Killy is Tignes les Brevieres.

DaveHK 31 Oct 2019
In reply to John2:

> I wish you would not argue with me when I say that the only place it is possible to stay in a van in the Éspace Killy is Tignes les Brevieres.

What a strange comment. I'm agreeing with you not arguing with you.

marsbar 31 Oct 2019
In reply to John2:

Did you read his post?  

Removed User 31 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I was only thinking of val d'isere because I've never been before. If I can survive off grid then I would go to tignes les breviers.

Does anyone know if this is possible.......at the risk of sounding sexist,  I'm a girl and know nothing about vehicles etc ....is it possible to connect my lpg tank to propane gas cylinders so that I don't risk running out of gas? If so what adapters do I need to buy and what kind of cylinders do I buy on the continent? tHanks

jabc 01 Nov 2019

Firstly this is an excellent idea and you should do it. I did a similar thing a  years ago, but ski mountaineering mostly rather than resorts March - May. I wouldn't touch the gas tank, we got nowhere near using it all in two months. If you're worried just get the relevant euro adapter before you leave so you can fill it up. 

While I understand the preference for bigger resorts, part of the beauty of the van is you can go where the snow is good and avoid the crowds. Places like Areches Beaufort, Ceilac, Les Sept Laux are beautiful resorts with fantastic skiing and you can basically park the van for free outside the first lift - I didn't pay for parking once in 8 weeks. If you're after bigger resorts - Argentiere has something approaching a van shanty town at the bottom of the Grand Montets most of the time and is free. Vaujany is free too and links to Alpe d'huez so plenty to go at. Espace Killy is trickier, but why not go to Bonneval Sur Arc instead? Just over the hill (albeit the drive round is a few hours), just as high, beautiful location, untracked off piste. Free to park.

Removed User 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jabc:

I went to alp d' huez last year and enjoyed it. While I like smaller towns with character, I would get bored with a small piste area. Where would you recommend for a beginner ski mountaineer? I would be on my own so nothing to adventurous 😉

DaveHK 01 Nov 2019

> Where would you recommend for a beginner ski mountaineer? I would be on my own so nothing to adventurous 😉

As said above, having the van means you can go to a few different places. From my own experience, I'd definitely recommend the Val d'Aosta area. There are a huge variety of different types of resort and also lots of easy tours. This website has a number of recommended tours of various levels of difficulty: http://www.lovevda.it/en/sport/ski-touring/itineraries

The dead end valleys that come out of the Aosta valley are stunningly beautiful and have plenty of options for van parking.

jabc 01 Nov 2019

Areche Beaufort, marked trails through the ski area to practice skinning. Lots of mellow terrain - up to the top of Grant Mont and down is a good one to start with and plenty of others out. They also do cheap group tours (from 50 or so euros) most days - https://areches-beaufort.com/en/winter/your-desires-your-practices/ski-tour...

Big free parking area in Areche, under the chairlift with drinking water and a toilet which I think isn't locked overnight if I recall correctly. 

Removed User 01 Nov 2019
In reply to jabc:

Great info. Thanks everyone. Can't wait. Part of the fun is the planning 😀

nuts and bolts 01 Nov 2019

I go to Les Arc every year and we get an apartment in Bourg St Maurice. I know you said you didn't want to stay in the valley but you won't have to drive as you can get the Funicular up to 1600 every morning. I know that there are a lot of campervans staying in Bourg but don't have the beta on where the best spots are.

Always cheaper in the valley than in resort BTW.

DaveHK 01 Nov 2019
In reply to nuts and bolts:

> Always cheaper in the valley than in resort BTW.

Less of an issue if you're dossing in a car park!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...