Waterproof down jackets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey all, Im after a new warm jacket for the winter and would like something toasty, warm, waterproof and long lasting.

It will be used for the hills, walking the dog and general around town and will get a lot of use.  It may also be used for skiing.

I dont know how much these things cost as I havent bought down before but I have looked at the Mammut Eigerjoch Pro and Advanced and they look really good.  The crucial thing here is the waterproofing.

Whats the view from the UKC collective?

Cheers

Richard

Coel Hellier 28 Oct 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> I dont know how much these things cost as I havent bought down before but I have looked at the Mammut Eigerjoch Pro ...

A lot!  

cb294 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

But likely worth it. I have Mammut clothes and a backpack all more than 20 year old that simply refuse to die. No idea about the down jackets, though. A trawl round the internet should be worth it, as prices seem to vary by  > 20%.

CB

Dave Garnett 28 Oct 2019

I wanted a proper last resort down jacket and picked up a Rab Resolution in a sale.  It has  pertex outer, which they say is fully waterproof, although I haven't deliberately taken it out in the rain.  I can report that it's excellent in heavy snow and the pertex makes it pretty windproof too. 

Thrudge 28 Oct 2019

This isn't down, but it is very warm and meets your other criteria:

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/alpha-belay-primaloft-insulated-jacket?osCsid=3...

I haven't got one of these (I'd like one!) but I do have a PhD sleeping bag and it's excellent.  If you're not aware of them, PhD have a fantastic reputation for quality of materials and construction, and durability.  Pricey, but OMG worth it.

Best of luck in your search.

Toerag 28 Oct 2019
In reply to cb294:

I'm not convinced, like many other brands Mammut quality isn't what it was.

Bellie 28 Oct 2019

Down is fair enough if you really want it, but when I'm working out in winter  (not full on walking) I'm toasty warm in a primaloft jacket under my paramo.  By all accounts if its wet its generally too warm for a down jacket anyway... and usually they are DWR not full on waterproof, so not suited for a days outing in crap weather.

Maybe a micro down jacket if you want a down one - again with a decent heavier weight waterproof jacket over it.

Anoetic 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Take a look at crux.  I have one of their down coats and it’s been great in the British weather 

Medleysdad 31 Oct 2019

I think you might be trying to get too many uses out of one jacket.  Down is generally too warm for activities requiring a fair amount of exertion.  Ascending in a down jacket especially one with a waterproof outer could be pretty hot and sweaty even in winter.  And if its an all in one jacket there is no way of moderating your temperature.  Rohan make some great insulated waterproof jackets, including ones that are more everyday in their styling that are perfect for the winter everyday - walking the dog, mooching around town, adventure holidays.  But I wouldn't make it my only hill jacket.

Generally for active hill use its still better to layer.  Base layer, fleece or synthetic mid layer, and a then a windproof and a waterproof shell as top layer options.  A good synthetic primaloft or similar mid-layer is also great to wear without a top layer on those great days when it is cold but neither particularly windy or raining (we do get them sometimes!).  Save the down for back up, rest stops, emergencies and if it really does turn arctic.

Coel Hellier 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Medleysdad:

> Ascending in a down jacket especially one with a waterproof outer could be pretty hot and sweaty even in winter.  And if its an all in one jacket there is no way of moderating your temperature. 

Simply unzipping it works (especially if the layers under it can also be unzipped). 

Steep uphill  in lea of wind: down jacket and fleece unzipped.

Then, walking along flat in wind: fleece zipped, jacket semi-zipped.

Stop for a drink:  everything zipped. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...