Winter training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fast eddie 27 Oct 2019

Have just done first marathon (York) in 4.34. Not 100% sure if I want to do another just yet. I've had a look on line to see what's recommended for winter training. I think my aim is to tick over so I don't have loads to do to get back to distance in early spring.

What would people suggest I would be doing each week?

dread-i 28 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

Day after your first marathon, you'd swear you'll never do one again. After a few days, you'll say it wasn't so bad. Give is a week or so, and you'll be looking to knock off +30 mins next time.

For winter, I try and keep up park runs. Easier said than done given the rain and cold. I also do a lot of exploration runs, just finding out where that track goes, or whats up that hill etc. They may not be long, but they keep me interested. Winter is a good way to test out kit, for when you do your first ultra...

JuneBob 28 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

Unless you have some winter specific sports that take up some of your time, (e.g. ice climbing), you can train as before. I suspect there are quite a few people who run more in the winter, as there is little else you can do outside in England. You'll just need to wear a bit more gear (and maybe a headtorch). Studded shoes can be nice if it's icy.

wbo 28 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie: Personally I'd say cross country is the best thing to do in the winter.

steelbru 28 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

Depends on what and when your Spring targets are.

If you are aiming for eg Manchester marathon, then an 18 week training program would start on 2nd December, and you should go into a training plan reasonably fit, so no slacking over winter allowed !!

Join a club if you have one nearby - meeting up with like-minded people makes it easier than going out yourself when it's cold/windy/raining, etc

girlymonkey 28 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

To my mind, winter is exactly when you train. Its cold enough to really exercise without dying of heat stroke!

I endure summer because I have no choice, and force myself out of the door in running kit because I know I need to and plod along feeling sticky and horrible. Winter comes along and suddenly I can run reasonable speeds again, and I can keep going and not feel gubbed! 

I have yaktrax for when it gets really snowy and icey!

Steve Jones 29 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

I'd agree with wbo - cross country is classic winter running. I used to try and use winter for base endurance but with bad weather it was hard to be out for long enough, often enough. Nowadays I use winter for speed training (two or three short, hard sessions and some easy runs when weather/mood permitts) then start building the milage as we head into spring. As dread-i also siad, park runs are great for this - I put them in a longer run, say a short fell run or 10 jog then smash out a park run at the end, makes for a good session.

Roadrunner6 29 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

Stay at it. XC season. 

Shaunhaynes99 29 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:

I love winter runnng. No issues overheating less people out.

wbo2 29 Oct 2019
In reply to fast eddie:I quite liked the weeks into Christmas.   Not too many races of any import so relax, do some steady running , a session on Tuesdays and a race or session on Saturdays..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...