Sheep Dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 24 Oct 2019

I had the pleasure of watching some sheep being moved through a few fields by a farmer in the Langdale valley yesterday. I had a fab view from above as we descended via Loft Crag. 

I just think it's amazing that, in 2019, the best solution for moving sheep around isn't a high tech 'Mega Ranch 4000 TM'. It's a dog and some shouting. 

Moley 24 Oct 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

Very occasionally we humans invent something that cannot be improved upon, in this case we bred sheepdogs which are perfect for working sheep. The good ones.

Except the dogs that are rubbish and some farmers that are equally rubbish at controling them! 

SenzuBean 24 Oct 2019

> I just think it's amazing that, in 2019, the best solution for moving sheep around isn't a high tech 'Mega Ranch 4000 TM'. It's a dog and some shouting. 

The drones are definitely coming for the dog's job though: https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018685575/barki...

Wil Treasure 24 Oct 2019

Having grown up on a farm I was always amazed by seeing a really well trained dog. We had some great Border Collies over the years, and a Huntaway that was a lovely dog, but a bit like getting Gary Pallister to chase your sheep.

It was always the instinct that amazed me. My Dad is by no means an expert on dog training, but had the basics drilled, even if they were a little rough on the details. The dogs still work for me when I look after the farm occasionally. 

JoshOvki 24 Oct 2019

If you have any time look up your local SARDA (Search and Rescue Dog Association), they are normally looking out for people to be dogs bodies if you can give up a weekend day. Seeing them work on a search pattern, pick up the scent and home in on it is amazing. You are also doing something to help MRT as a double win.

I'm hoping to get my own pooch to start training in the next few months.

Post edited at 17:28
 Blue Straggler 24 Oct 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> If you have any time look up your local SARDA (Search and Rescue Dog Association), they are normally looking out for people to be dogs bodies 

Superb!

Moley 24 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

> The drones are definitely coming for the dog's job though: https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018685575/barki...

Damn, from when drones first came on the scene I said they would be a game changer for stock farmers, checking the sheep on the hills whilst eating breakfast beside the Aga. But I never thought of barking drones, hope the sheep dog union put a stop to them.

OP bouldery bits 24 Oct 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> If you have any time look up your local SARDA (Search and Rescue Dog Association), they are normally looking out for people to be dogs bodies if you can give up a weekend day. Seeing them work on a search pattern, pick up the scent and home in on it is amazing. You are also doing something to help MRT as a double win.

> I'm hoping to get my own pooch to start training in the next few months.

This sounds a brilliant Idea. Maybe I'll volunteer. Probably not in January though! 

SenzuBean 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Moley:

> Damn, from when drones first came on the scene I said they would be a game changer for stock farmers, checking the sheep on the hills whilst eating breakfast beside the Aga. But I never thought of barking drones, hope the sheep dog union put a stop to them.

I also never thought of barking drones!

Farmer: How was the weather?
Drone: RUFF
Farmer: And what did you see above the house?
Drone: WOOF
Farmer: And what were the sheep rubbing?
Drone: BARK

Dave the Rave 24 Oct 2019

My collie bastard rounded me up at 2am last night barking like feck at the back door with her hackles up.

I opened the door with my left fist poised looking to the right and expecting the dog to fly that way.

Instead she flew left at the gate and then there were running footsteps!

Nice one collie!

> I had the pleasure of watching some sheep being moved through a few fields by a farmer in the Langdale valley yesterday. I had a fab view from above as we descended via Loft Crag. 

> I just think it's amazing that, in 2019, the best solution for moving sheep around isn't a high tech 'Mega Ranch 4000 TM'. It's a dog and some shouting. 

All running on neural software/wetware and forming a somewhat symbiotic relationship.

Brilliant isn't it.    

Just call the dog "mega ranch 4000"  

James Malloch 25 Oct 2019

Mr Grimes' jam crack podcast had a nice interview with Dave Birkett recently which included some lovely tales about farming and using his sheep dog. 

Well worth a listen.

marsbar 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Meg for short.  

Greenbanks 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Wil Treasure:

'...a bit like getting Gary Pallister to chase your sheep'

Top-grade imagery!

Bob Kemp 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Moley:

They are brilliant but they do have their limitations. I remember coming down off Dow Crag one very hot day and there were a lot of sheep milling about below the Walna Scar road in chaotic fashion with a couple of dogs desperately trying to control them. A minute or two after I met the farmer, puffing and blowing up the track. "Aye", he said, 'dogs are buggered...", and stomped off uphill. 

Welsh Kate 25 Oct 2019

Actually it's not as bad as it sounds dogsbodying in January! You're snug in a sleeping bag, in a bivvy bag, with a karrimat under you, plenty of warm layers, a flask, snacks, good music on the phone, a radio just in case, and some poor handler's plodding, slipping and sliding round the hillside with their dog in cr@ppy conditions looking for you :-D

My 'worst' dogsbodying experience was on the Wee Buachaille a few years ago in Feb, with graupel being blasted into my face whenever I poked my nose out of the bivvy bag. I was perched in a stream bed not far from the bealach aware that if I did start dozing off I could end up having an entertaining ride on my karrimat some way down toward the glen. The relief when I heard the SARDA dog in the area was huge, even though I'd only been there for a couple of hours and would never have been left on the hillside! Or was that my 'best' dogsbodying experience?

The feeling when you know you've helped train dogs and handlers that then go on to save lives is amazing. It's the most relaxing way to contribute to mountain safety, commune with nature, and the forced relaxation is an excellent boost too.

ps - I'm the Dogsbodies Rep for SARDA South Wales, if anyone in the area's interested in joining us for a training session to see what we do and try Dogsbodying, drop me a message!

shuffle 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I can second this! I've been a weekly dogsbody for our local search dogs for about 18 months and even in crappy weather, it really is a lovely way to spend time.

Watching the dogs progress is so rewarding and knowing that you have contributed in a small way to enabling those dogs and their handlers to go out on searches is really brilliant. 

marsbar 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

So, outdoor fun but wrapped up in a sleeping bag, drinking tea?  With dogs.  Sounds perfect

Timmd 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> The feeling when you know you've helped train dogs and handlers that then go on to save lives is amazing. It's the most relaxing way to contribute to mountain safety, commune with nature, and the forced relaxation is an excellent boost too.

> ps - I'm the Dogsbodies Rep for SARDA South Wales, if anyone in the area's interested in joining us for a training session to see what we do and try Dogsbodying, drop me a message!

That does sound like a pleasant way to spend time, 'Lie and be still and commune with nature'.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...