PRESS RELEASE: The North Face FUTURELIGHT™ - The Technology behind the Innovation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 21 Oct 2019
FL 1 The North Face changed the future of the outerwear industry with the unveiling of FUTURELIGHT™ jackets, pants, and bibs in its Summit Series™, Steep Series™ and Flight Series™ collections. Developed using innovative nanospinning technology, FUTURELIGHT™ will offer first of its kind breathable, waterproof protection.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

It's pretty cool that they've put together a membrane that's 90% recycled, and potentially better performing. We all know it's going to cost more than a house in the highlands though.

angry pirate 22 Oct 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Ellis Brigham have them in their new winter catalogue and they are about a ton or two more than the goretex equivalents (Arc'teryx excepted) though that's possibly not surprising.

They are heavy though: the Point Five is quoted as 660g which is old school heavy in my book.

That said, I'd love to try one if the magic money fairy came visiting.

Frank R. 22 Oct 2019
In reply to angry pirate:

Well, as I understand it (from my limited outsider view), there is nothing really that much new about the nano-spinning process (even the "old" Neoshell was probably some variant of it), plenty of research and applications already, I guess the "secret" is in the engineering for large predictable outputs, making the membrane properly hydrophobic and making the hydrophobicity last (which is the main thing keeping "WPB" garments waterproof but breathable, despite most PR nonsense about "size of pores smaller than water droplets") and adjusting the technique to different fabrics.

Still, I am glad they are pushing it (even if at high prices), as it might mean in the long run:

1) more breathable membranes without PFCs

2) hopefully some more affordable ones from cheaper brands with good enough performance by similar process - since it's hardly plausible they hold the patents on the whole of it

Until then, I would have to pass, as the "magic money fairy" seems to have lost my address...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...