Brexit is like climbing a mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 11 Oct 2019

So, according to Mr Barnier ""Brexit is like climbing a mountain. We need vigilance, determination and patience"

So, who would the principal players be cast as mountaineers (although some may not be with us, but thats not stopped idle conjecture before)?

Boris - Dougal Haston - devil may care attitude, lax safety and errr dangerous

Mr Barnier - Chris Bonnington - pragmatic, cautious, siege tactic style approach for the long haul

Angela Merkel - Alison Hargreaves - tough, willing to be brave but also stick to their principals

Leo Varadkar - Reinhold Messner - team player who is susceptible to break out on their own 

Hmm, who else

British public - errrr, over to you guys

Lusk 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> British public

They'll be the Sherpas, conned and exploited.

In reply to subtle:

Boris - Maurice Wilson - blindly optimistic, poorly prepared, didn't really know what he was doing, ploughed on despite being forbidden by the authorities.

the similarities are stark....

Correction, Maurice Wilson was at least Brave.

Post edited at 14:08
 Rob Parsons 11 Oct 2019
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

> Boris - Maurice Wilson - blindly optimistic, poorly prepared, didn't really know what he was doing, ploughed on despite being forbidden by the authorities.

On the other hand: he learned to fly a plane so that he could get out to Everest, and then flew himself from Britain to India despite being banned by the Air Ministry. I like the guy's style - he had some balls.

Duncan Bourne 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Bexit like climbing a mountain.

Lots of false summits

Avalanches of red tape

Everyone else freezing in base camp

Boris more like Maurice Wilson

Corbyn as Aleister Crowley

john arran 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Having expressed interest in climbing a mountain, and insisting on an all-or-nothing approach, we then find out that it'll cost us a large fortune each, we'll have to turn a blind eye to people sick and dying along the way, we'll have no option but to accept whatever safety standards foreigners put in place for us with no say in whether they're right for us or even safe, and ultimately there's a very real chance we won't make it back again.

How about we rethink this Everest malarkey and go climbing with mates again instead?

Lemony 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Dominic Cummings - Rich Simpson, unquestionably powerful but in the end just an enthusiastic advocate of fake news.

Post edited at 14:43
 colinakmc 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

No, Cummings is Crowley. Corbyn is in danger of climbing Rum Doodle.

birdie num num 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> So, according to Mr Barnier ""Brexit is like climbing a mountain. We need vigilance, determination and patience"

Me and Mrs Num Num like to go up on the train

Dr.S at work 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Why are we climbing the mountain?

youtube.com/watch?v=tkBVDh7my9Q&

Andy Gamisou 11 Oct 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

> Me and Mrs Num Num like to go up on the train

Euphemism?

DaveHK 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

> "Brexit is like climbing a mountain. We need vigilance, determination and patience"

I thought it was very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Crimp Eastwood 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Boris is undoubtably the bloke pictured heading up Mt Everest with his helmet on backwards...

DancingOnRock 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Brian Blessed as John Bercow. 

DaveHK 11 Oct 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Brian Blessed as John Bercow. 

Onward my brave remainers! Let this be known forever as Flash Gordon Brown's day! 

wercat 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

The Brexiteers are surely the Claudio Corti party - wasn't their routefinding based on a pleasant postcard showing the way to the international Summit?

Though surely they would only be climbing in the UK

Post edited at 18:00
 McHeath 11 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

Farage - all those who loudly spray bold plans in the pub all spring, then arrive in Chamonix, walk to the foot of the Walker Pillar, and suddenly get a cold/a sprained ankle/have forgotten the rope ...

Duncan Bourne 11 Oct 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

like it

Bobling 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Why are we climbing the mountain?

Beat me to it!

Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Can’t beat the classics!

Jim Fraser 12 Oct 2019
In reply to subtle:

No.

Brexit is like falling off a mountain. We are still falling. We do not yet know if we will only break our legs or completely smash our brains out.

(For some, smashing their brains out may make little difference.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...