Multiple resoles on the same shoe? Thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbingnoob 03 Oct 2019

Being a poor climber, and the cost of shoes seemingly going up exponentially over the years, I've been forced to resole my old shoes multiple times. One pair i've resoled perhaps 7 times, two others about 2 or 3 times.

I've been reading on other threads that resoling more than once is bad - why is this? As I can't afford £120 for new shoes, I will carry on resoling, unless I see shoes on sale.

I've never really had problems with resoled shoes. I haven't noticed any negative impact on my climbing from using resoled shoes. What's everyone's thoughts on debate that resoling climbing shoes multiple times is bad?

Post edited at 17:47
 gethin_allen 03 Oct 2019
In reply to climbingnoob:

I think this may depend on the quality of the resole job done.

In the past I've had resoles that have considerably changed the shape of the shoe and doing this more than once would result in a useless shoe. Recently however a friend had some resoles done by a chap in Greece and the results are brilliant. So good that unless the uppers get some serious wear before the soles wear out I'd be happy to get another resole on them.

Dan Arkle 03 Oct 2019

Its fine. Get them resoled as many times as you like. 

Having them resoled once is standard, twice is less ccommon. 

Some models may not hold their shape well after a 2nd or third resole. 

Or, depending on how you climb, the rest of the boot may be falling to bits and it might not be worth it. 

Post edited at 17:57
climbingnoob 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I’ve never really had problems with resoles. One pair of shoes I got resoles were done badly and the shape changed so my toe is now further away from the wall when on my toes (at least that’s what it feels like). Others feel great after multiple resoles.

It must depend on the shoe. I’ve a pair of Scarpa Styx that now get resoled every year before the first Font trip, and are now on their fifth resole by Feet First in Chesterfield with C4. Best shoes I own, and have never lost their shape.

Dave Garnett 03 Oct 2019

> One pair i've resoled perhaps 7 times, two others about 2 or 3 times.

Doesn't that make them really stiff?  I suppose it gives you more reach though.

climbingnoob 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

i've always worn pretty stiff flat 'trad shoes', and have never owned downturned or super soft shoes that fold in half, so as that stiffness is all I've known, the answer is no.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...