Dexterous winter mountaineering gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 02 Oct 2019

I'm looking for a pair of winter mountaineering gloves for ski mountaineering that are dexterous enough for climbing (i.e. scrambling on rock, with some smaller hand holds), gear handling (carabiner faff, adjusting clothes, taking photos), but not too warm (for uphill use when I'm overheating), and waterproof (can cope with digging around through snow, or when I'm using my hands to climb steep snow slopes).

I have a pair that are heavier for when it's very cold and when I'm going downhill which are quite dexterous (Arc'teryx Fission Glove), but I'm struggling to find a good pair for uphill, which are more dexterous. I've seen the Hestra Ergo Grip OutDry Dexterity - while they are waterproof, I read the outer layer does soak up water leaving them quite cold. I've tried various options, generally they get soaked from sweat and/or snow.

Any suggestions?

nniff 02 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Black Diamond Punisher, but it does rather depend on how cold it is as to whether or not they'll be too warm going uphill, but if you want waterproof and warm enough for moving snow around.  Also depends upon whether or not you wear a liner.

AdrianC 02 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I doubt there's one glove that will do everything you're looking for - especially at a price that's reasonable for something that's so subject to wear, damage and simply being lost.

Sorry if you've already tried this and rejected it but maybe look for three or four pairs that are suited to different activities.  Several different cheap pairs is way better than one expensive pair, I reckon.

Andy Hardy 02 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I don't know if this site would be able to sort you out, but, got to be worth a click - http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/...

planetmarshall 02 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

> I'm looking for a pair of winter mountaineering gloves for ski mountaineering that are dexterous enough for climbing (i.e. scrambling on rock, with some smaller hand holds), gear handling (carabiner faff, adjusting clothes, taking photos), but not too warm (for uphill use when I'm overheating), and waterproof (can cope with digging around through snow, or when I'm using my hands to climb steep snow slopes).

A pair of marigolds tick all of those boxes.

Pina 02 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

After years of playing around with gloves I've come to the conclusion that water proof gloves are a bit of a red herring for winter mountaineering (one granite route and you'll probably end up with holes...)

ME super alpine or BD punishers pretty much fit your bill otherwise.

OP JuneBob 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Thanks all. Just wanted to see if there was anything else out there. I am toying with the idea of getting a few pairs of cheap work gloves from a DIY store and switching gloves once they get too cold.

Marigolds don't fit my hands very well.

Thanks for the tips.

TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

Except for the waterproof bit, Marmot Basic Work Gloves fit your bill. They are still my favourite for skimo. I NikWax them and then they are moderately water resistant too. I wrote this https://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2012/10/marmot-basic-work-glove-revi... 7 years ago. Last winter I got a third pair after the second pair got a few holes in them after 7 years of plentiful use.

1philjones1 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

These are v good for the price, pretty dexterous, pretty waterproof and warm but not too warm. A bargain at the price but order a size bigger as I find they come up small. The second link are great for lead climbing in winter and so cheap it doesn’t matter if you trash them.

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-297-insulated-waterproof-wor...

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-517-insulated-waterproof-pre...

Post edited at 13:06
OP JuneBob 03 Oct 2019
In reply to 1philjones1:

they sell tegera in my local HW store, so I can try them on. Thanks.

DaveHK 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

The simond leather gloves from decathlon are pretty good for that kind of stuff. Not too warm, pretty water resistant once covered with nikwax, cheap and hard wearing.

Tim Davies 03 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheap, easily replaceable, not too hot for the uphill  (sweat is the enemy) has worked for me. 

New thin spring gloves plus new sticky skins = ripped / frayed glove = glad they weren’t expensive 

ColdWill 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

I think Black Diamond Dirt bag Gloves might be the most suitable for what your looking for, or their hard wear store equivalent.

OG 03 Oct 2019
In reply to JuneBob:

It's worth trying on pairs in a shop until you find what fits your hand, as in my experience that's what drives dexterity. Good close fit around fingers with no/little excess at the tips, fingers long enough to allow full movement. This seems easier to achieve when the gloves are thin and a little bit stretchy.

Personally I have Mountain Equipment G2 Alpine gloves which I find very dextrous as they are thin and fit my hand shape well. I have found warm enough for winter ice climbing (need belay gloves/mitts though) and not too hot for summer Alps. I'd imagine other gloves of similar thickness would be a good bet. I looked at a few others - Rab Alpine Glove for example - which I'm sure would be decent but they were a less good fit on me.

I can imagine they might get waterlogged through snow contact unless you're doing something in the harder grades, and in my limited experience I've found something waterproof and thicker is better for this like the Mountain Equipment Guide/Couloir glove. But less dexterous and quite warm if you're moving uphill...

However they are quite thin so mine got holes from a few (fairly intensive) days of cold Alpine rock climbing/scrambling. Then again, that may well be a problem with any gloves on abrasive rock. Something that is a simple leather work-glove type glove would likely be harder wearing.

Hope this helps.

Post edited at 22:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...