REVIEW: MSR PocketRocket Deluxe and Pika Teapot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Oct 2019
Pocket Rocket Deluxe montage Toby Archer tests the enhanced version of the classic PocketRocket, which boasts some extra user-friendly features at a negligible increase in weight over the standard Pocket Rocket 2. He also gets surprisingly enthused by a "teapot" (read: kettle)...

Read more
 galpinos 01 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Toby, does the kettle whistle when boiled?

The PR D looks nice. Would be good to see a comparison against the Soto Windmaster (same weight, piezo, regulated, £30 cheaper!)

TobyA 01 Oct 2019
In reply to galpinos:

> Toby, does the kettle whistle when boiled?

It doesn't! So maybe that's why they called it a teapot!

> The PR D looks nice. Would be good to see a comparison against the Soto Windmaster (same weight, piezo, regulated, £30 cheaper!)

Never used a Soto stove so no idea. It struck me that it the PRD is so similar in weight, performance and price to the Jetboil MightyMo - quite clearly competitor products. So I'd be interested to know too if Soto have, in the Windmaster, built a stove that works as well as these two but at half the price! Anyone got one?

druridge 01 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

On most ground conditions the 'stabilty issue' is a non-event if you are in the habit of creating a shallow hole / depression to stick the base of your gas bottle into. Works in snow, sand, peat, grass turf etc. I've even tried sticking the bottle onto ice with a little water but always felt the very cold bottle  gave a longer burn time.

galpinos 01 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> It doesn't! So maybe that's why they called it a teapot!

Our camping kettle, Wheezy, is on his last legs so looking for a replacement. It needs to whistle though (my girls have minimum requirements)

> Never used a Soto stove so no idea. It struck me that it the PRD is so similar in weight, performance and price to the Jetboil MightyMo - quite clearly competitor products. So I'd be interested to know too if Soto have, in the Windmaster, built a stove that works as well as these two but at half the price! Anyone got one?

I have a Soto, the Amicus (without peizo and it doesn't have the regualtor) bought on the way to a mountain marathon having realised the trusty gen 1 pocket rocket was at home. Really nicely built and I like the burner head (seems less wind affected than the old pocket rocket) but not the comparable product to the PR D.

HeMa 01 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

The wider head seems a lot better than the narrow blowtorch flame of the original PR. 

That being said, I wonder How it compares to Optimus Crux Lite. Weight wise, I think they are in the same ballpark as PRD or even the orig PR. Even the non Lite Crux was nice, but I found that the head folding mechanism was a tad probe to flexing. Causing me ones to loose all that valuable Black nectar of gods (or coffee). The darn thing flexed when the Expresso maker was getting full. 

TobyA 01 Oct 2019
In reply to druridge:

> On most ground conditions the 'stabilty issue' is a non-event if you are in the habit of creating a shallow hole / depression to stick the base of your gas bottle into. Works in snow, sand, peat, grass turf etc.

I know what you mean, although I have to say the tufty grass and heather mix that is typical of the Pennine moors - my local stomping grounds - can make finding somewhere where you can do this really hard! Sheep-cropped grass is very different, but the third and fourth photos in the review show the stove on this inherently unstable moorland where you think you've pushed the grass down enough to have the stove flat, but as you boil your coffee water or whatever, it starts rising up threatening to tip your pot off the stove!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...