4 Season Sleeping Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 29 Sep 2019

Looking for recommendations for a 4 season sleeping mat.

Warmth vs weight ratio and pack size is important.

Main use will be UK all year round (tent, tarp, bivvy and snow hole) 

Considering the Therm-a-Rest Neoair Xtherm or the Exped equivalent but before I buy anything want to see what others recommend and use.

Siward 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Honestly, I'd recommend this:

http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/summit-xl

It works and doesn't break. And it works.

DaveHK 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

For all year round UK use a light air mat (neoair xlite or uberlite maybe?) paired with a closed cell foam mat is more versatile. Save weight in the warmer months and double up for warmth in the winter. Such a set up probably isn't any heavier than a single heavily insulated mat.

TobyA 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

This is a good mat and does keep you warm when camped on snow and frozen ground whilst not weighing much https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_mats/sea_to_summit_ultrali... but like most air mats I've found you can "bottom out", particular if you prop yourself up by an elbow or your hip etc. Sometimes just sitting on it will also bottom out (literally). You can fold it in half to sit on -i.e. when cooking in the tent door way, but its a hassle and I perhaps unnecessarily worry it will pop! Personally I still reckon the best system for "proper" winter camping is the system I stumbled on accidentally two decades ago - a three quarter length lightweight thermarest and either a Z-Rest or a RidgeRest. You can use either of them on their own in summer then doubled up in winter. Put your rucksack under your feet so you have double insulation the length of your body. With a suitable sleeping bag I've slept plenty of comfortable nights using that system down to the mid minus 20s.

Post edited at 13:05
 Babika 30 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Another vote for the "two mat" system. I use a regular Thermorest around the year for comfort but if I'm going out when its really cold on the ground I add a £3 foam mat underneath, It makes a big difference warmth-wise for hardly any extra weight. 

gethin_allen 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Babika:

> Another vote for the "two mat" system. I use a regular Thermorest around the year for comfort but if I'm going out when its really cold on the ground I add a £3 foam mat underneath, It makes a big difference warmth-wise for hardly any extra weight. 

Me too, and I'd heard many people say the same. If you have a single air mattress there's always the risk that you'll get a puncture and this could be critical in a very cold environment, whereas if you also have a closed cell foam mat you are just looking at a less comfortable evening.

Trangia 30 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Plus 1 for the 2 mat system. Much more versatile, and in the event of the air mattress part getting a puncture you still have some insulation from the closed cell part - better than nothing. I used a combination of closed cell and air mat whilst camping on glaciers in the Himalayas. 

OP Alan M 30 Sep 2019

seems like a consensus is developing here.  Does the advice still stand with the following?

Sleeping directly on the mat and not inside the sleeping bag?  I use my sleeping bag like a blanket  find it more comfortable and less restricting.

I use an Alpkit Numo most of the year and have used it in the snow numerous times but have woken up at times feeling the cold coming up through the mat.  I also normally only sleep in t-shirt and underwear. 

Post edited at 16:59
 olddirtydoggy 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I use an x-therm that replaced my exped down mat and find it warmer.

DaveHK 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

The Numo offers very little insulation but is pretty light. For not a lot of cash outlay you could try it with a foam mat and see what difference it makes.

OP Alan M 30 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> The Numo offers very little insulation but is pretty light. For not a lot of cash outlay you could try it with a foam mat and see what difference it makes.

It is definitely worth a try before I go spending £100 - £150+ on an Xtherm or Exped equivalent etc.  I actually think I have a thick Multimat foam mat in one of my storage boxes somewhere.  Will try that first and then decide if I need to upgrade.  Got a few days in the Lakes and Scotland coming up before the end of the year so I will know soon.

Thanks everyone

Post edited at 20:49
 andyd1970 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I use what Siward and TobyA recommend but as a Pair

Post edited at 22:02
 TobyA 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I found the Numo was too cold when temperatures got to maybe 5 degrees or below. The original ones had insulation in body section - that worked but then you noticed your feet getting cool! Then the insulation failed from moisture in the mat from blowing it up. It annoyed me enough to write a blog post about it! http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2014/01/physics-you-can-sleep-on-desi...

Cheap, comfy and light, the Numos. But definitely not warm!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...