Tent for tall folk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any reccomedations for a reasonably lightweight tent that packs down small for a 6 foot 3 person? Is there such a thing ? 

Neil Williams 22 Sep 2019
In reply to Rolling coastal:

Vango Banshee 300?  (I find the 200 a bit small for me and kit though it does pack a bit smaller).

I can pitch/drop one in about 5 minutes, too, really easy, quicker than I can do a popup.  Only downside is that if you zip the inner up it can get a bit warm so I tend not to bother.

I'm 6' 4" and almost as broad if that helps

Post edited at 18:23
 iainJ 22 Sep 2019

I've got a msr hubba hubba and it fits me (just) at 6'6' - plenty of room for stuff and another as well.

The elixer is a bit cheepar, but the same footprint. Both are lightweight and quick to pitch. 

Robert Durran 22 Sep 2019

I've got a Wild Country Zephyros 2 which is absurdly long for me (I'm 6'4'' or so) and it is very light.

doz 22 Sep 2019

Wigwam?

There is a definite gap in the market for a lightweight one-person tent with an inner 230 cm long and 100 cm high; and though choice does exist in two-person tents with similar dimensions, it tends to fail on the 'lightweight' criterion.

People are getting taller, just as tent manufacturers find an easy way to shave a few grammes off in search of a lightweight tent is to make the whole thing smaller.  Harrumph 

T.

DaveHK 23 Sep 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> There is a definite gap in the market for a lightweight one-person tent with an inner 230 cm 

A tent designed to accommodate people over 7 foot would be a tiny market niche and the extra weight would put off lots of other customers.  

DaveHK 23 Sep 2019

Yet again I'll just recommended what I've got: http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17-stealth-tent-15.html

1 and 2 person versions and solid inners are available as are separate poles if you don't use walking poles. 2.1m long inner and the ends are vertical so you don't get low fabric touching face or feet. 

I've used mine loads and really can't recommend it highly enough. The only negatives are the negatives of all mesh inners (I've got a solid one now for winter use) and the slightly fiddly pitching.

Siward 23 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Much of that length has to allow for sleeping bag hood and foot and for space between said bag and the tent walls. So not so niche.

To the OP, the Macpac Minaret has a short side and a long side, the latter being very generous.

Post edited at 06:55
 Run_Ross_Run 23 Sep 2019

Big Agnes HV copper spur 1 (or 2).

I've just picked up the bikepacking version https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/one...

It's palatial inside. I'm 6ft and there's masses of room at foot and head when lying down. Also sitting up should still be doable for you as head height is really good. Weighs in about 1200gms.

DaveHK 23 Sep 2019
In reply to Siward:

> Much of that length has to allow for sleeping bag hood and foot and for space between said bag and the tent walls. So not so niche.

The fact that there aren't many tents with 230cm inners tells you it is niche, product designers look into this stuff! Plus, it doesn't need to be that long if the ends are vertical or close to it, it's as much to do with design as actual size.

Post edited at 07:18
In reply to DaveHK:

> The fact that there aren't many tents with 230cm inners tells you it is niche

That sounds as though you've missed my point. Was niche, perhaps; becoming less niche, definitely. Gap in the market, certainly.

T.

Toerag 23 Sep 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> Plus, it doesn't need to be that long if the ends are vertical or close to it, it's as much to do with design as actual size.

It helps massively if the occupant sleeps with head/toes at the door(s), then there's invariably enough height to eliminate the 'toes pushing inner against outer' problem my VauDe Mk3 suffered from.

Some good suggestions there thanks ,been lugging  my trusty old vango tempest 200 around for too long now ,like the look of the big agnes and that's a good price on the zephros .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...