In the meantime, I sip on my coffee and smoke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://news.sky.com/story/jamal-khashoggis-final-words-revealed-in-consula...

Truly horrifying report on the murderous Saudi's .

I don't have words to describe the level of hell that should await these people.

Mind you the good old USA has done very little about it under Trump but what do you expect when Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is stuffing their pockets.

Shocking stuff

Post edited at 08:26
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

When I began travelling to the Middle East on business I began to realise how much the Levantine Arabs despise the Gulf Arabs. 

Michael Hood 11 Sep 2019

The idea that the Crown Prince didn't know about this is laughable.

Timmd 11 Sep 2019

Poor bugger, he must have panicked right at the end.

Try and steer your thoughts away from the darker corners of life if you find it dragging you down BTW, I used to dwell on such things rather, and it didn't achieve anything much in the long term, either for me or towards reducing the darkness in the world, it just stopped me from feeling as positive as we arguably deserve to.

The Crown Prince knew what was happening, and such knowledge should inform how other countries treat them - but remember to enjoy life if it doesn't.

Post edited at 14:31
In reply to Timmd:

> Poor bugger, he must have panicked right at the end.

Yes the idea of them kidnapping him to take back to Saudi to make him compliant then of course suffocating and dismembering his warm body.

> Try and steer your thoughts away from the darker corners of life if you find it dragging you down BTW, I used to dwell on such things rather, and it didn't achieve anything much in the long term, either for me or towards reducing the darkness in the world, it just stopped me from feeling as positive as we arguably deserve to.

It's not dragging me down anymore than usual.    The mood is very changeable at the moment though , but far better than last week .

I think it's important people don't just let these things go and business as usual.   

> The Crown Prince knew what was happening, and such knowledge should inform how other countries treat them - but remember to enjoy life if it doesn't.

The crown prince more than likely ordered it. 

Post edited at 14:46
 Michael Hood 11 Sep 2019

I suspect the Crown Prince ordered for him to be brought back to Saudi or if that wasn't possible to "remove him from the public's eye", but yes, it is most unlikely that he knew nothing about the operation beforehand.

And you're right, the way things have just gone quiet on this (as the Saudi's knew they would), is pretty disgusting.

Post edited at 14:53
 Timmd 11 Sep 2019

> It's not dragging me down anymore than usual.    The mood is very changeable at the moment though , but far better than last week.

Good to hear.

> I think it's important people don't just let these things go and business as usual.  The crown prince more than likely ordered it. 

I wholly agree. 

Fruitbat 12 Sep 2019

Grim and horrendous - the actions on the day and the politics around it. If we as the human race could put all the time, thought and energy that we spend on doing harm, being aggressive and destructive into just getting along in life and with others then we'd be in a much better place. 

As an aside, I find it interesting and intriguing - although not surprising - that a host country has the ability to listen in to the goings-on of an embassy. I wonder if this is from devices within the building? If so, how and when were they installed, do the embassy staff not check for these, maybe it was an external device? If the Turks have this ability then are they able to provide countermeasures in their own embassies? I guess it's a big game of cat-and-mouse and all countries will be at it. I can't imagine there'll be many GCHQ-types coming on here to explain how it all works, though.

Michael Hood 12 Sep 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

I believe at least one way of "listening" from outside is laser reflections off windows which are sensitive enough to obtain the vibrations made by speech (which software can then of course reproduce).

Wonder if it works on double glazing.

In reply to Michael Hood:

youtube.com/watch?v=05I3q3bRpqQ&

maybe this guy can help.

wintertree 12 Sep 2019

Fun fact - with a sufficiently good telephoto lens and high speed camera you can decode sound from the effect it has on a candle flame.  No lasers required. I managed this back in 2005 using a camera imaging at 20,000 frames/sec.

As with laser microphones, closing the curtains is a problem...

Michael Hood 12 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> Fun fact - with a sufficiently good telephoto lens and high speed camera you can decode sound from the effect it has on a candle flame.  No lasers required. I managed this back in 2005 using a camera imaging at 20,000 frames/sec.

Might I ask why you were doing this? Hobby? Employed to do this? Industrial or for the security of the state?

wintertree 12 Sep 2019

> Might I ask why you were doing this? Hobby? Employed to do this? Industrial or for the security of the state?

Somewhere between employment and hobby...   Mainly tried it because I had all the bits and it seemed like a cool idea.   There is a slim possibility that such a decoder could be built with century old technology.  Trying that is on my growing list of projects I never get around to. 

Post edited at 14:06
In reply to wintertree:

> As with laser microphones, closing the curtains is a problem...

Curtains in the conventional place don't pose a problem for laser microphones, because a curtain doesn't stop the sound reaching the window, and causing it to move.

A curtain on the outside would work...

For your candle idea, a simple telescope and photodetector may be able to detect modulation of the flame; AC couple the PD into an audio amp?

wintertree 12 Sep 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Curtains in the conventional place don't pose a problem for laser microphones, because a curtain doesn't stop the sound reaching the window, and causing it to move.

My limited understanding is that a curtain deadens the sound enough in most cases. 

> For your candle idea, a simple telescope and photodetector may be able to detect modulation of the flame; AC couple the PD into an audio amp?

Along those lines - a lot of the modulation is in vibration of the shape and position of the flame rather than total brightness so you would I think need an obscuration to turn that into brightness modulation.  I wasn’t able to record video at the time so don’t have enough data to nail down the best method.

In reply to Timmd:

Wise words Tim.

Timmd 12 Sep 2019
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Wise words Tim.

Nah, I was just daft enough to make myself glum through pondering.  

In reply to Timmd:

And wise enough to realise what you were doing to yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...