winter running jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 05 Sep 2019

I was thinking of getting a proper running jacket for foul winter days on the fells as my karrimor ones seem a bit amateur. however, having looked at a few in a shop just now a) they are horrendously expensive (even on the internet) and b) they all seem to favour being lightweight over actually stopping any moisture from what I can tell. they all seem very insubstantial.

why should I not just wear my waterproof that I wear for walking? it is bulky but as I will only wear it when the weather is poor, I won't be intending to carry it. and I accept I may sweat and get wet that way, but I would get p*ss wet through in 5 minutes in a proper down pour anyway wearing some paper thin "shell" for £150.  seems a waste of money to me or am I just being tight?

DancingOnRock 05 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

You need something windproof and something that will dry quickly and be warm if you stop rather than something that will keep you dry while running. 

I think the OMM Kemleika is the weapon of choice amongst my friends. 

I have a basic Ron Hill windproof. You’ll need something hooded for races. 

PFitz 05 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the breathability and have found this surprisingly durable given its weight:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1281/higher-state-stretch-waterproof...

Much  more comfortable than running in a heavy Goretex jacket

Roadrunner6 05 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

My favorite jacket is a cheap NYCRR half marathon race jacket, bright orange, pretty much a nylon shell. 

I'm not too bothered about breathability, if you run, you sweat. 

But it depends how long you are out for, for a 1-2 hour run a jacket that wets out isn't too much of an issue, but a long 6-8 hour mountain day is more of an issue.

In reply to dh73:

> I was thinking of getting a proper running jacket for foul winter days on the fells as my karrimor ones seem a bit amateur. however, having looked at a few in a shop just now a) they are horrendously expensive (even on the internet) and b) they all seem to favour being lightweight over actually stopping any moisture from what I can tell. they all seem very insubstantial.

> why should I not just wear my waterproof that I wear for walking? it is bulky but as I will only wear it when the weather is poor, I won't be intending to carry it. and I accept I may sweat and get wet that way, but I would get p*ss wet through in 5 minutes in a proper down pour anyway wearing some paper thin "shell" for £150.  seems a waste of money to me or am I just being tight?

I have an OMM Halo for events. 

I use a Mountain Hardwear Thundershadow when I need something proper. Got one for a tad over £60. 

wbo2 05 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:  most of the specific mountain running jackets seem pretty rubbish for everyday training.  The best jacket I've had for every day training was an Adidas one.

I have a gore jacket now.  Good, but wish it was 5cms longer

plyometrics 05 Sep 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I’d be wary of the latest version of the Kamleika. The original was superb. The most recent iteration is flimsy as f&ck. I’ve gone through two with very little wear. They both leak, snag on anything and the cuff seams are falling apart. I’m gutted because it used to be, as you rightly say, the “weapon of choice” for many. 

DaveHK 05 Sep 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

> I’d be wary of the latest version of the Kamleika. The original was superb. The most recent iteration is flimsy as f&ck. I’ve gone through two with very little wear. They both leak, snag on anything and the cuff seams are falling apart. I’m gutted because it used to be, as you rightly say, the “weapon of choice” for many. 

2nd all of that. Good fabric and cut. Crap construction.

Post edited at 20:09
 petegunn 06 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

Whilst not a proper waterproof I really rate the Arc’teryx Psiphon as a good winter running jacket. Probably more of a wind proof but I've been out in it for several hours in the rain and have stayed warm in it on the fells. Might be worth having a look at?

cathsullivan 06 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

> I was thinking of getting a proper running jacket for foul winter days on the fells

In winter I wear my Paramo Velez Adventure Light smock. They aren't cheap but will last years because any holes or tears can be mended without compromising waterproofness. Soft and cozy so no rustly crisp packet experience. Loads of venting options to cope with a wide range of temps. I also wear mine for climbing in spring and autumn and mountain biking and it's still going strong after about 10 years (used several times a a week from about October to April).

mike123 06 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73: last winter I used a patagucci pullover , lite weight , water proof , breathable . Kept me warm and reasonably dry on some horrible weather days running last winter . It's not sold as a running waterproof and maybe that's why you can pick them up for well under £100 in sales . 

Edit : it was about £70 in a sale and I think it's a torrent shell . If your a small  there is one tiniternet for £70 . 

Post edited at 07:05
 James Malloch 06 Sep 2019
In reply to dh73:

Not sure about running but I really like my ME Impellor (review here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/mountain_equipment_imp... )

Very lightweight and seems very waterproof to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...