Keeping Shoes Fresh (ish)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 03 Sep 2019

I have started a new job in a different city and would like to leave some climbing kit in my office locker here to save me carrying it on the trains each time. However this comes with the risk that it will stink people out...

I’ll get some new shoes so they start off okay, but I wondered whether things like boot bananas help much?

Obviously things like taking them off between attempts etc will help but any additional ways to keep the smell down would be welcomed. 

snoop6060 03 Sep 2019
In reply to James Malloch:

Wear socks. I know a fella who climbs 8b in socks.

Jackspratt 03 Sep 2019

I've been having a real problem after a few long, hot humid days this summer. The only word to describe my shoes was putrid. It was quite embarrassing when I went to the wall for midweek training session, I tried a lot of remedies, hand washing, those little smelly balls etc but ultimately a can of dettol all in one spray (it's antibacterial and suitable for soft furnishings) from the supermarket has worked wonders.

If I had the shoes from new again I'd use this from the start it's been great I just leave it in my gym bag with and spray them as soon as I finish my session.

Max factor 03 Sep 2019

Buy shoes with leather uppers and air dry well as soon as you finish climbing, making sure they are totally dry before being put into storage. 

Or synthetic + socks as the man said. 

topee 04 Sep 2019

Have a friend who stuffs his shoes with tea bags after use. Seems effective.

Rigid Raider 04 Sep 2019
In reply to topee:

> Have a friend who stuffs his shoes with tea bags after use. Seems effective.

Does he make the tea down at my local Starbucks?

If you've got athlete's foot your shoes will smell terrible because the fungus breaks the sweat down into all kinds of nasties. You can treat that by buying a tube of Canestan cream (the version for thrush has 2% clotrimazole rather than the 1% of the version for AF) and by spraying the insides of all your shoes with a fungicide spray such as Dr Scholl. Then keep everything clean and dry and make sure shoes get aired with the insoles out after use. Oh, and wear cotton socks. 

Hutson 04 Sep 2019

I use boot bananas whenever my climbing shoes aren’t on my feet. When I’m climbing I put the boot bananas on the radiator (winter) or outside in the sun (summer) to dry them out. Seems to work as my shoes aren’t stinky. Don’t leave the BB out in the rain though...

In reply to Rigid Raider:

Anti-fungal powders also work well, and help getting the feet into the shoes.

Otis 04 Sep 2019

I've found boot bananas to be superb (and they feel a bit more eco-friendly than cans of spray etc. if that's your thing).

Post edited at 15:35
 Offwidth 04 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Well said. That so few wear thin socks despite the many obvious benefits is a clear sign that too many climbers are fashion victims. Still it's not as bad as the many beginners in cripplingly tight technical shoes.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-shoes-is-pain-insane

Post edited at 15:42
 nniff 04 Sep 2019

Never put your shoes into a rucksack when you've just finished - let them air straight away. The people who take the piss out of those who have shoes hanging from their bag have shoes that stink, and they wonder why.  Boot bananas are good, but give them a chance - don't make them fight sweaty shoes

jonny taylor 04 Sep 2019

Agree that boot bananas are helpful. However, I'm pretty sure the biggest improvement I made was to put them straight on the boiler (safely tucked away in the cellar!) when I get home. The warmth dries them out faster than bananas alone, and I think getting the damp out asap is the most important thing to do.

Keep your shoes clipped to the outside of your pack. 

Buy synthetic shoes rather than leather, run them through the washing machine regularly. Use a bio washing powder, the enzymes will help break down the funk. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...