Surfing in Morocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 26 Aug 2019

so any surfers on here? Looking for recommendations for surfing in Morocco in October .

we are beginners and have 2 kids. Done some surfing and we would like to do more

need recommendations for good spot and school?

AlH 26 Aug 2019
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

I went for a few days with the family last year. After camel trekking in Erg Chebbi and trekking in the Atlas foothills with an excellent Brit guide who lives there we did a few days based near Essaouira. We didn't surf in town (there is a central beach but it was busy, had a bit of litter and less attractive than where we did surf) but went for 2 days to Sidi Kaouki 25km to the south. The beach is several KM long but only had people at the North end where there are various surf hire shacks, restaurants, camel ride merchants (never seemed to pushy when we had kids with us) and a large surf school. There are few other smaller operators too. We didn't take lessons (after an hour my 10 year old was riding most waves) but saw this chap teaching next to us and he took the trouble to come and high 5 my son : https://www.kaoukisurfschool.com/more

We all enjoyed it there so much (my 6 year old is confident in the water and was on a body board on waves breaking chest to head height on me) we went for a second day. In between we explored the narrow winding chaos of Essaouira which has a real feel of an old pirate fortress for the kids.

French Erick 27 Aug 2019

French tame surfers go to Essaouira. That's what my brother did last year.

subtle 27 Aug 2019

Hmm, Ive been to Essaouira three times now, surf is not exactly amazing - great for sit on top kayak surfing (you can rent one on the beach) but not really decent for surfing - otherwise a great place to base yourself and travel to the surfing hot spots nearby

1202alarm 27 Aug 2019

I went to Taghazout about ten years ago.  Nice waves and friendly people, no localism at all.  There are quite a few tour operators based there so I'd use tripadvisor etc to find something.  Flights to Agadir with various low cost carriers...

iusedtoclimb 28 Aug 2019

Thanks everyone really helpful 

afshapes 28 Aug 2019

I've used surf maroc, the original surf camp in taghazoute. It's gone a bit up market since my first trip back in 2007 but then the whole of the area has too , they have street lights and wifi!  Bloody love the place.  Waves everywhere although ther best aren't that good for beginners.  

Banana beach is probably the best,  devils rock,  and another place I can't remember north of boiler reef. 

There's also a nice beach in taghazoute. 

Locals are friendly,  but be on your guard.  Ripping tourists off is a sport so greet it with a smile and see it as fun.  I found the best way to get a good deal is to buy something you don't really want ! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...