Snowdon with a dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 25 Aug 2019

What's the best way avoiding the crowds? Can do mid week

Post edited at 13:17
 Hutson 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I took my dog up the Rhyd Ddu path and down the Snowdon Ranger. There is a narrow ridge section at the top of Rhyd Ddu but it’s flat and not very long. My dog was on a lead and we kept her very close at that point.

SouthernSteve 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Go early enough and you can pick your route. The only disadvantage may be that buses may not be available very early on if you are not doing a circuit. However, it does mean you don't have the crowds at the top.

OP Flinticus 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Hutson:

Is there generally sheep about on the Snowdon hills?

SimonCRMC 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I've certainly seen sheep near the Rhyd Dhu path so best to err on the side of caution.

Removed User 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Both my Flatcoat's have done the Snowdon Horseshoe along with a few other walks

Roadrunner6 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Watkins, down the South Ridge and drop back down into the Watkins.

Or Ranger/South Ridge loop.

There's the odd sheep on the mountain but these days they are allowed to put very few on the mountain so as long as it stays close you won't have an issue.

Chmusar 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

why not do the Carneddau instead some great circular routes and a lot quieter , great views and normally no sheep.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ru4mJYK1X1ajYL8j9

OP Flinticus 25 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Its off

Dog's limping after playing on the beach 

Post edited at 21:07
OP Flinticus 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Hutson:

I did this route just myself, having to leave Kelp at home. Nice route, especially the walk out through the old slate mine.

Removed User 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I never take a dog to the beach now unless i have side cutters. One of mine dug up a double ended tri hook which hooked 1 front paw to the skin very near to his tackle. Long wait while the G/F found someone who had some side cutters. Luckily he was a very mild mannered flat coat retriever but a long wait in the sun. 

gethin_allen 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Chmusar:

> why not do the Carneddau instead some great circular routes and a lot quieter , great views and normally no sheep.

There were loads of sheep around there last weekend.

Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Can I just ask what relevance the sheep have in deciding whether to walk with a dog in Snowdonia?

Thanks

Darren 

JoshShaw 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Sheep are often worried by dogs, whether or not they end up being chased. In fleeing from dogs they put themselves into a situation where they might be injured or killed by their panicked attempts to escape. Pregnant sheep can also miscarry in this situation. 

It's generally accepted that if sheep are about, dogs should be kept on a lead or in close control to avoid worrying the sheep, out of respect for the farmers.

Perhaps Flinticus was asking with this in mind.

Post edited at 10:37
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2019
In reply to JoshShaw:

OK. I understood that from stuff I'd read in the past. 

Can i make a better suggestion though (to avoid sheep or other animals being chased)? Just keep all dogs on leads at all times, irrespective of whether there are sheep about or not.

Obvs excluding the farmers dog that is. 👍 

Roadrunner6 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

He probably asked because if there are loads of sheep even walking on a leash causes fear. Sheep don't see a leash and think 'great, fido is leashed'. If its lambing time and all the sheep are in a restricted area a dog walker should just avoid the field, even being in there causes mass stampedes.

I lived in or around Snowdonia for a decade and ran thousands of miles with my dogs off the leash. On the high mountain areas sheep are pretty rare these days. Hence why the law is under control. 

You'll still see a lot of sheep on the valley sides lower down but once up they are limited how many can be there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...