Chamonix Alpine Climbing in March/April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arvinw 25 Aug 2019

Hi forum,

Would there be any considerable amount of alpine climbing doable in March/April around Chamonix?

I know some routes are done year round like Arete des Cosmique and probably Entrevees/Marbrees traverse. However, not sure whether other routes like Contamine Grisolle, Chere Colouir, Mallory Porter, Tour Ronde North Face, Whymper Couloir are ok. Because the climbing season normally begins around end of May/ early June so I am just wondering. I am aware that approach will need to be on ski/snowshoes and thats ok. Thanks guys.

Misha 25 Aug 2019
In reply to arvinw:

March / April is the best time of year for mixed routes these days so all of the above can be good but watch out for skiers going down the Whymper! It’s more serious though, with colder temperatures, shorter days and more snow (avalanche risk etc and ski approaches as you’ve mentioned), so does require solid summer alpine experience. 

Webster 25 Aug 2019
In reply to arvinw:

the way summers are going, march/april will be peak 'alpine' season before too long... all the routes you mention are probably good that time of year (unless its been too cold inwhich case the snow wont stick and they will be grey ice!) but you will need skis/snowshoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...