Single Strap Rucksack (right shoulder injured)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 19 Aug 2019

Can anyone recommend a decent single strap rucksack to use for a bit of hill walking please? I'm currently none load bearing with my right arm for the next couple of weeks, however I am going to want to start getting out after that and don't particularly want to be putting strain on my shoulder (I subluxated the AC joint and the surgeons had to shorten the clavicle before pinning it back in place a week ago on Friday) while it is recovering.

I won't be looking to carry a huge load (I climb regularly and can fairly happily carry a decent sized rack and rope in my blue ice warthog, this rucksack won't be used for anything like that), just some water, a bit of food, map, compass, waterproofs and a warm layer.

All of the half decent bags I can find seem to be from online only shops and while I am willing to spend a bit of dosh to get something of reasonable quality I don't want to spend £60+ on something without being able to take a look at it and know it will do the job.

Jenny C 19 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

How about a rucksack with a properly fitting waistband so you can get all the weight on your hips - then only use the alert strap on your good side.

OP spenser 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

I have tried that already (as mentioned above I have decent rucksacks), the only way I can reach around to get hold of the right hand part of the waist strap is to unfasten my sling and reach down which is quite uncomfortable.

I might be able to use the hip pad from an old deuter rucksack to hold it in place (although this was still not pleasant to carry when the RHS strap got chopped by rockfall, possibly due to the weight of the contents (i.e. rack and rope).

mbrill89 20 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

I broke my right collarbone this time last year, and it required surgery too - so I had the same issue. I can second Jenny C's suggestion, but it's also worth considering a large bum bag - the type used my trail runners and mountain bikers. I borrowed an old Lowe Alpine one of a friend, but it looks like they still make them - plenty space for essentials.

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/084240-lowe-alpine-mesa-pack-black.html...

Doug 20 Aug 2019
In reply to mbrill89:

My wife also has problems with carrying a rucksac (back problems) but has been using a large bumbag from Decathlon - no doubt based on the Lowe model but slightly cheaper & larger

https://www.decathlon.fr/sac-banane-grand-format10l-blu-id_8331534.html

Post edited at 07:54
 HeMa 20 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

There aren't that many available (AFAIK)...

I think hunters have such (I seem to recall seen pics or something).

And Blue Ice used to do one for climbing, not available anymore though.

Easiest bet would be to look for camera bags, there are numerous such things available and with handy features (can easily be swinged to the front and opened for camera, snacks or water). e.g. https://www.crumpler.eu/collections/camera-backpacks/products/triple-a-came... Less spendy options available...

The last and easiest option is a simple messanger bag, many around.

Or the bum bag.

Smythson 20 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

Military style one strap bags like this have am extra strap that avoids the shoulder - 

https://www.military1st.co.uk/14059188-mil-tec-one-strap-small-assault-pack...

WaterMonkey 20 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

After my Supraspinatus tendon repair back into the bone, even whilst I was still in a sling about 1 week post op I managed to do some long walks with a normal rucksack.

I took my arm out of the sling and threaded my arm through without moving it much or the shoulder. Then just used my left arm and good should to pull the sack up into the normal position. Put the sling back on and headed out.

EDIT: Sorry, just read that you have had your clavicle operated on, I understand now why you want a single strap!

Post edited at 11:16
 Guy Hurst 20 Aug 2019
In reply to spenser:

My son is a keen photographer and uses a Lowepro Slingshot camera bag with a single shoulder strap, which he likes a lot. Most of the space in the bottom compartment gets taken up with his DSLR, lenses etc., but the compartments/padding provided for these can be removed so more stuff can be fitted inside. He has at times suffered from back/chest muscle problems, and the bag doesn't make these any worse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...