Marmolada weather forecast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockafunked 19 Aug 2019

Good afternoon all

I've been monitoring the weather forecast for the Marmolada and it seems utterly atrocious this coming week.   I've got a flight booked for Friday morning (returning Tuesday night) and my climbing partner and I are about to take the decision to abandon the trip.  We were thinking of heading to Arco for a spot of sport climbing, but the weather forecast there looks wobbly (though probably salvageable). 

Are any of you local to the area (I know some are, at least from historic posts) and can confirm that the weather in the Dolomites has been very hit-and-miss this August?

This would be my third trip to the Dollies - I'd go ahead with the trip and be flexible if we had a week's holiday, but the sole objective this time round would be to do a route on the Marmolada (and it would really suck to have to contend with an afternoon thunderstorm). 

yelotango 19 Aug 2019
In reply to rockafunked:

I was there at the start of the month, really unsettled. Rain all day, morning thunderstorms. Not the usual pattern of afternoon / evening storms I`ve seen over the last few years.

beardy mike 19 Aug 2019
In reply to rockafunked:

Yes it's always hit or miss in August... this year maybe more so than normal? Maybe? September is nearly always far better. Yesterday was one of the better days of the summer, but they usually come the day after a massive storm which clears everything out for 24 hours. That said it makes it pretty cold...

sheelba 19 Aug 2019
In reply to rockafunked:

We’ve just got back from a two week holiday there of excellent weather, had so many stable weather days some of them we were too exhausted to climb and took as rest days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...