Scotland and forecast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glovin 16 Aug 2019

If you were heading to Scotland this afternoon for a week where would you be thinking of going? Forecast looks ropey at best...

skog 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

What sort of stuff are you hoping, or at least happy, to do? It doesn't look too bad for walking, but climbing will be a bit harder to sort. Although the forecast seems to change every time I look at it just now.

With that in mind, I'd be looking at staying as mobile as possible and reviewing the forecast daily, heading wherever looks best but from where you can still beat a retreat to head across to the other side of the country.

Places such as Fort William, Spean Bridge, Newtonmore, Aviemore, Inverness, or Invergarry are good for this - with an eye kept on Kintail, Ullapool and Torridon in case it looks worth it.

If you just want to be based in one place, I'd suggest Fort William or Ullapool - you can get to a lot of great places as day trips from them and there are passable facilities in town if it's rubbish weather. I'd suggest Aviemore or Braemar if it looked a lot better in the east, but it doesn't, really.

OP Glovin 16 Aug 2019
In reply to skog:

Hoping to climb so thanks for input, heading up towards Inverness tonight and keep checking the forecast then!

jpicksley 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Skog is right. Stay mobile and check the forecast regularly. The weather has definitely been a bit difficult this summer but it's still been ok if you look around and are prepared to move around. Although I think Inverness is the better base. More options than Fort William and Ullapool in my humble opinion.

Don't forget the north east coast: Latheronwheel, Sarclet, mid-clyth; the north coast: Skerray sea cliffs and Port Vasgo.

North-east is good and easily accessible from Inverness. Tends to be better weather than the north-west and fewer midges. Good campsite at Dunbeath. Another good one at Tongue (the hostel right on the Kyle).

And then, of course, there is the costa del Moray. Contrary to popular belief this has some of the best weather in the country (I mean the UK not Scotland). Look at Logie Head, Redhythe Point, Cummingston (an acquired taste...). Good campsite at Sandend.

Have a great time!

Post edited at 13:42
 Pina 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Are you after mountain routes or cragging? Preference on sport or trad?

Mountain routes will be very hit and miss as it's been a little mixed weather wise this week but if you don't mind climbing in the wet a bit some of the classic ridges will a.dry quickly and b.be possible in the wet (I.e tower ridge, curved ridge, eagle ridge). If there's a long enough dry window some of the cairngorm granite crags dry quite quickly (others don't though...)

Cragging wise there's quite a few options with quick bail options. But if you're coming up for a weekend you may want to pick somewhere nice over somewhere you might be able to climb? For example, dumby will undoubtedly have some dry options but it'll hardly be primo and you'll be in Dumbarton...

Edit: just noticed you said week. North West (Torridon) doesn't look great for the weekend but seems to improve early next week and would provide a lot of options (bouldering. Mountain trad, sport and trad cragging)

Post edited at 13:50
 Dark-Cloud 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Join the club, i'm heading up later today, was seriously thinking about delaying for a week

girlymonkey 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Reiff. A bit showery, but doesn't look too sustained and a good breeze to dry it off.

Simon Caldwell 16 Aug 2019
In reply to jpicksley:

We spend almost a week on the Aberdeenshire coast at the beginning of June, while the west coast hardly stopped raining, we just had the odd shower, but not enough to stopped us climbing every day.

The forecast for next week looks similar to then, ie a series of fronts coming in from the west.

Removed User 16 Aug 2019
In reply to jpicksley:

Yes, I was going to suggest the far North East could be a good bet.

Ben Loyal might be a bit drier than other hills if you'd like to get onto a mountain crag.

Pero 17 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

> If you were heading to Scotland this afternoon for a week where would you be thinking of going? Forecast looks ropey at best...

Unless you are committed to Scotland for some reason, why not go somewhere else where the weather is better?

OP Glovin 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Thanks for the advice, managed climbing in the dry at lethoronwheel, wick, skerray, rieff, rannoch wall and tower ridge. Also trip to sandwood bay for a swim and a walk up Suileven with great views. A night in the clacaig and a near heart attack on the way home listening to the cricket. Definitely a good idea to keep mobile and check forecasts. 

Cheers 

jpicksley 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Good effort! We went to Reiff on Sunday and Aztec Tower on Monday as we haven't been west for a while. Don't listen to the naysayers who claim the weather in Scotland is always rubbish. Plenty of options if you can move around easily and can read and understand weather forecasts. I bet you hardly saw anyone else as well.

Glad you got good weather and had a good time.

Sean Kelly 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Pina:

> Are you after mountain routes or cragging? Preference on sport or trad?

> Mountain routes will be very hit and miss as it's been a little mixed weather wise this week but if you don't mind climbing in the wet a bit some of the classic ridges will a.dry quickly and b.be possible in the wet (I.e tower ridge, curved ridge, eagle ridge). If there's a long enough dry window some of the cairngorm granite crags dry quite quickly (others don't though...)

Tower Ridge in the wet!!! You must be fecking joking, as I know from bitter experience. The rock is incredibly slippy before you arrive on the ridge proper, the rain runs off the rock and down your sleeves. In no short time you are totally soaked. Add a little bit of wind. Just  a totally miserable experience.

Post edited at 20:25
 skog 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Glovin:

Well done, sounds like a brilliant trip!

Michael Gordon 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

That's just climbing in the wet in general, no? You kind of know what you're singing up for before you start.

Sean Kelly 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Ah, but the Ben has this super slippy rock, somewhat akin to Slate  then the rain doesn't filter away but drains straight down your armpits!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...