B3/B2 Boot choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jafferton91 16 Aug 2019

I currently have Mammut Magic B2 boots and find when using them with crampons they feel to bendy when climbing steeper ice/rock. Is that a B2 thing? Is it a my boots are probably a bit old thing? 

In reply to jafferton91:

B2s aren't really optimised for sustained front pointing on steeper ground, so a bit of flex is to be expected. I guess they can get bendier with age too.

How big are your feet? Longer boots = more leverage. People with smaller feet can sometimes use B2 type boots more like a B3, whereas for big footed oafs like me, even brand new some models feel pretty flexible.

TobyA 16 Aug 2019
In reply to Jafferton91:

Dan said:

> How big are your feet? Longer boots = more leverage. People with smaller feet can sometimes use B2 type boots more like a B3, whereas for big footed oafs like me, even brand new some models feel pretty flexible.

Just to reiterate Dan's point - I wear 41.5 or 42 points have climbed lots of steep ice and some mixed in boots that get given "B2" with out any problems. Dan I believe has about size 73 feet, so obviously finds his boots more flexi!

What crampons are you using with them? And what routes have you done where you felt this bendyness?

OP jafferton91 16 Aug 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I am a UK 11 so a 46 & Grivel G12s.

Curved ridge and also Bristley ridge are the mixed routes I have felt the flex and also an indoor ice climbing wall. I am new to this winter lark so looking at the best boots for me. Currently thinking of phantom techs out later this year or the new Nepal cube evos. I would like these to do summer alpine also.

​​​

Post edited at 16:36
 CurlyStevo 16 Aug 2019
In reply to jafferton91:

pretty much all the modern b3 boots flex a bit too, to varying degrees. I got rambo's specifically to lessen it a bit. I'm size 11 too.

Post edited at 21:11
 CurlyStevo 16 Aug 2019
In reply to jafferton91:

b2s are perfect for the route you mention. Don't bother with new boots until you are looking at V total waste of cash imo. B2's are way more comfy for most folk during the day also on the ground you're climbing probably better imo.

Post edited at 21:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...