Boot Bananas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wiley Coyote2 12 Aug 2019

I have been using a pair of these for quite a while and they worked extremely well. However, they seem to be losing their superpowers as the shoes are starting to honk.  Before I lash out on a new pair of bananas does anyone know if they can be revitalised?  The company's website says their winter version can be put in an oven to perk them up. Anyone tried this  (or indeed anything else)  with the ordinary bananas?

Durbs 13 Aug 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

I think the point of oven-ing them is to just dry them out. They're mostly moisture absorbers with a bit of lavender - but once they're saturated (mmmmmmmmmm), they stop absorbing the stink and you're just left with the (now very old) lavender.

Worth doing this 2-hours before you intend to cook any food in the oven mind.

HeMa 13 Aug 2019

In the oven works, but low heat (I wouldn’t go over 100 C).

But stickin’ them over a concention radiator should also do the trick. Perhaps not in the bedroom though. 

duchessofmalfi 13 Aug 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Just buy a bag of cat litter - fill shoes with cat litter when not wearing or 1/2 fill old sock with cat litter and place in shoe.  Throw away (or reuse as cat litter) when they become less effective. I favour the wood pellet stuff but it all works.  A lifetime supply is about £3.

HeMa 13 Aug 2019
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Actually the non cluttering/wood cat litter is pure silica gel, the same stuff you find on those small pouches inside electronics packing. So get that... And simpy dry it (in the over, over a radiator etc.) between every few uses. The sock can stay the same... and those that fancy, can add some smelly herbs or whatnot to make yer shoes small of flowers instead of the reek of death...

PaulJepson 13 Aug 2019

I like clove oil. Couple of drops and shoes smell great.

Fishmate 13 Aug 2019

Do you walk around barefoot before putting shoes on, by any chance?

OP Wiley Coyote2 13 Aug 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

> Do you walk around barefoot before putting shoes on, by any chance?

Not really. Why do you ask?

Fishmate 13 Aug 2019

Unsurprisingly, it's one of the main causes of stink foot. I read sometime ago about individual biological reactions to different materials, suggesting experimenting with different shoes/materials. Annoying if you're experiencing stink with your favourite model.

OP Wiley Coyote2 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

> Unsurprisingly, it's one of the main causes of stink foot.

Really? I would have expected that going barefoot would allow the feet to 'air' and that keeping them in sweaty trainers etc would make them more stinky (always assuming you watch what you tread in while barefoot, of course ) How odd!

Fishmate 14 Aug 2019

If you consider bare feet are impossible to stay clean unless you wash them. All the dirt builds up in the shoe and compacts, developing a breeding ground for stinky bacteria.

OP Wiley Coyote2 15 Aug 2019

Thanks for all the replies. Most useful - and informative

Post edited at 13:08

I just wear socks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000JPSZBC/

Even when the shoes have holes they still don't smell.

PaulJepson 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thanks for the link, just in case anyone didn't know what 'socks' were!

In reply to PaulJepson:

It was actually so people understood the type of socks I was on about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...