Off road around Keswick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I usually visit Keswick a couple of times a year delighting in beautiful borrowdale, back o'skiddaw and further afield on my road bike. In the spring I had an accident in Langdale resulting in metalwork in shoulder and elbow.

So in September for a change I'm taking my gravel bike which I hope will open up some new routes.

Any suggestions for 20-40 mile rides from Keswick? Nothing too technical. I like going high but that might be at odds with previous statement. Thanks in advance.

phizz4 11 Aug 2019
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Circuit of Skiddaw, starting in Keswick, or at the car park behind Latrigg. Anticlockwise round Lonscale Fell, past Skiddaw house and White Water Dash, back along the side of the lake.

Or, go NE at Skiddaw house, via Mosedale, south to scales, quick downhill to Threlkeld, join the disused cycle track back into Keswick (might not have fully re-opened yet after the floods).

Tom the tall 11 Aug 2019

A good long ride is the annual cx sportive, Lakeland Monster Miles- have a google for the route. Also useful are the forest roads is whinlatter- there is a new waymarked 10km route, the gorse trail, and you could add in as much or as little as you liked, including a visit to lords seat summit. Another option is the coach road from threlkeld to matterdale, then across the a66 to mungrisdale and round the back of skid daw on the old mining tracks, returning via dash falls, skiddaw house and back out to threlkeld or round Lonsdale fell to Keswick (techy, bit of carrying on a cx bike).

Ridge 12 Aug 2019
In reply to phizz4:

Cycle track to Keswick from Threlkeld still closed. Can go from Threlkeld to Wescoe, dirt road past Brunholme then pick up the minor road that runs below Latrigg to Keswick. (This road was closed to vehicles last time I was up there, but bikes and pedestrians were getting through).

mike123 12 Aug 2019
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: without wanting to open up the ".....eeee I can ride my gravel bike down owt , yer just a bunch of softies with yer full suspension malarkey " , most of the bash route is rideable on a gravel bike , the descent along castle crag being one obvious  exception, I suppose it depends on how much carrying you are happy with  .  Also  most of the single track at whinlatter is pretty doable and can built into longer routes to add some spice . 

As above , round skidaw via ski daw house is great, just one or two little Carrys . 

again just one or two obvious carrys . 

https://lakesmtb.co.uk/routes/borrowdale-bash/

plyometrics 12 Aug 2019

Whilnlatter? Some lovely views from up there. 

Arms Cliff 12 Aug 2019
In reply to phizz4:

Skiddaw including Mosedale looks brilliant, thanks for sharing! 

Thanks very much everyone. Very good info. Whinlatter, Old Coach Road and Skiddaw House all look good.

Lonscale crags looks a bit scary - thinking going up it might be better option.

Looked at Borrowdale Bash but Watendlath descent to Rosthwaite put me off. 

Heading down on Friday 😀

Can you cycle up old Honister tramway to dubs hut?

On gravel bike with 40mm tyres.

https://strava.app.link/f2lgTGQMZZ

Great wee route - fair bit of pushing to get high on Old Coach Road though.

Back o’ Skiddaw and Lords Seat tomorrow.

So 5 x c20 mile rides last week in amazing weather rated for difficulty (1 no pushing, 5 lots of pushing)...

Keswick > Dalebottom > Old Coach Road > Troutbeck > Brundholme Woods > Keswick (3)

Keswick > Castlerigg for sunrise > Thelkeld > Blencathra Centre > Skiddaw House > Whitewater Dash > Bassenthwaite > Keswick (2)

Keswick > Thornthwaite > Lord's Seat > Loop towards Lorton > Braithwaite > Coledale/Force Crag Mine > Keswick (1)

Keswick > Honister > Dubs Hut > Honister > Grange > Portinscale > Keswick (4)

Keswick > Latrigg > Lonscale Crags > Skiddaw House > Mosedale > Castlerigg > Keswick (5)

All involved a fair bit of pushing my gravel bike with 40mm tyres except Lord's Seat. Need a MTB next time. All stunning routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...