Kinetic Alpine in Serious Rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 31 Jul 2019

I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually used this jacket in a full-on wet day in the hills?

I've seen reviews saying that it would be no good in heavy rain, due to only having a HH of 10,000. My tent fly is only 10,000 and tgats never leaked, as far as I'm aware!?!

Also, my Rab Spark has never leaked either, despite all the terrible reviews. Although admittedly, the longest I've been out in it, in constant heavy rain, is about 4 hours..

spenser 31 Jul 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I tend to find after a point that it doesn't matter what you're wearing, you get soaked to the bone anyway. My Latok Alpine has been overcome a few times, as has my Rab Spark! Perhaps the only one which hasn't is my Paramo Quito, however that's too hot to use for a lot of stuff.

OP ScottTalbot 31 Jul 2019
In reply to spenser:

> I tend to find after a point that it doesn't matter what you're wearing, you get soaked to the bone anyway. My Latok Alpine has been overcome a few times, as has my Rab Spark! Perhaps the only one which hasn't is my Paramo Quito, however that's too hot to use for a lot of stuff.

I agree to an extent. If I was out for multiple days and it just kept raining, I would expect to get wet. If it was just one day however, I'd expect a waterproof to keep me dry. I think I was spoilt back in the day, with Lowe Alpine's Triple Point Ceramic. I've yet to find anything that comes close. 😪

spenser 31 Jul 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I've only had those incidents on days where most people would open the front door, observe the weather and then close it again! 

Dazzle 31 Jul 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I have the Kinetic Plus jacket and its been good. Was out in it today and stayed dry, just the usual sweatieness when it wasn't raining. I was out in it a couple of weeks ago when it was spearing it down, and it seemed to occasionally let large drops through, but not very often, as dry as any waterproof i've had.

In reply to ScottTalbot:

Did your tent have a heavy rucksack on it though?

OP ScottTalbot 01 Aug 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Would that affect the water repellency? I can understand that having a bearing on the breathability, but would the Hydrostatic Head be relevant? This is a genuine query, as I have no clue about the science!?

hbeevers 01 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

The rucksack straps on your shoulders and waist can force water in past the hydrostatic head "resistance". 

BnB 01 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I have three jackets in Neoshell (HH 10,000) and none of those has ever leaked any more than previous goretex pro (HH 30,000) wear. They are massively more comfortable (ie breathable) though.

In reply to BnB:

Well hydrostatic head isn't a great measurement for leakiness in the real world. How well the seams are taped, why type of zips have been used, the design of the hood and collar to prevent water ingress etc are all going to have more effect on how much water enters the jacket. If you're doing serious mountaineering and carrying a tonne of gear then the rucksack strap effect could be relevant, but not for most people out on the hills. 

OP ScottTalbot 01 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

I have a Karimor Jacket (can't remember what it's called now) made with eVent, which is years old, never been washed and has never leaked! Admittedly, the breathability is pretty poor now, but still... 

In all fairness, it's been used mostly for dog walking and has only seen a bit of hill use, so hasn't been dragged over rock etc, hence the not getting too dirty.

If it was a better cut/fit,  it would have seen more mountain use and I wouldn't have a separate hardshell.

BnB 01 Aug 2019

> Well hydrostatic head isn't a great measurement for leakiness in the real world.

It's the one the OP focused on. And the absence of water ingress on my jackets means the membrane has done its job irrespective of the robustness of the seams. Two of which jackets are accustomed to carrying a tonne of gear.

In reply to BnB:

The membrane is superfluous and the hydrostatic head irrelevant if the seams are leaking like sieves. Sounds like you have good seams. 

My point was that the HH is usually the last thing you will have problems with regarding jackets. 

Post edited at 15:31
 BnB 01 Aug 2019

> The membrane is superfluous and the hydrostatic head irrelevant if the seams are leaking like sieves. Sounds like you have good seams. 

And a membrane for which a HH of 10,000 appears adequate, which I felt was the thrust of the OP's question. One thing is certain, the performance of the membrane is anything but superfluous when you find it leaks

Post edited at 16:47
 Phil Scott 01 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I've got the Kinetic Plus - had it out on a couple of very wet days (fairly hard rain, although not biblical..) and been very impressed with it.

Much more comfortable than a hard shell, more versatile due to the breathability and kept me fairly dry, but definitely warm and comfortable. Was a bit hard to tell at the end if it had let water in or if it was sweat, but was a little damp as opposed to being soaked.

I'm planning to take it to the Alps in 2 weeks and carrying that as my waterproof instead of a hard shell, the idea being it will double up as a soft shell outer layer as it still breathes well.

Post edited at 16:51
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I decided to test mine (Jacket and Trousers) last week by standing under a large waterfall for 10 mins.

Bone dry!

OP ScottTalbot 04 Aug 2019
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

That's good news, as I decided to order the jacket yesterday!

Were you wearing a pack? 😁

In reply to ScottTalbot:

No. I took that off as didn't want to get it wet as had Sat phones and other stuff in it.

This month have been leading in the Amazon Jungle wearing it. There has been some torrential rain and I have been carrying a fairly heavy bag.

Back out into the jungle in a few hours time and it is pissing it down so will be working hard again in high humidity.

It is all I brought with me as i wanted something breathable and I am very impressed with it.

OP ScottTalbot 04 Aug 2019
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Wow really!? I would be expect anything to really work in a jungle environment, so that is hugely impressive!

In reply to ScottTalbot:

Usual wet cuffs and small wet "v" around the neck like any jacket.

The trousers I just wear as trousers. Ie only underwear underneath.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...