Finding accom in Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Jul 2019

My daughter has got a job for a year teaching in Augsburg. She is having some difficulty arranging accomodation, and can't visit because she's working.

Anyone with any knowledge of the German accom scene any idea how she can sort this?

summo 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I've known people in similar positions create a Facebook post saying who they are, where they'll work and what accommodation they'd like. Then get someone in that area to share it. 

BnB 28 Jul 2019

My son faced the same problem and ended up being ripped off by a fake apartment swindler online. He discovered that the only reliable option was to spend a week on the ground in Munich replying to every ad for accommodation and turning up at the door in person. Not what you wanted to hear I guess, but better than being taken for a £1500 deposit on a non-existent flat.

McHeath 28 Jul 2019

Does she speak German?

Maybe the best idea would be to rent something for a month at first, then look for something better. Airbnb is a good starting point; I found this:

https://www.airbnb.de/rooms/23095687?location=Augsburg&toddlers=0&a...

ebay classifieds (Kleinanzeigen) are also good; this is smaller but much cheaper:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ruhig-gelegenes-teil-moeblierte...

The advantage of Airbnb as a starting point is that you don't have to go there first, get an appointment and so on.

HansStuttgart 28 Jul 2019

put an add up in a local newspaper. You'll have to come over if they call though.

A lot of German houseowners don't want to openly state that they have accommodation available for fear of having to take a renter they don't like (is in some cases obligatory by law).

RomTheBear 28 Jul 2019

> My daughter has got a job for a year teaching in Augsburg. She is having some difficulty arranging accomodation, and can't visit because she's working.

> Anyone with any knowledge of the German accom scene any idea how she can sort this ?

The best way is simply to stay in a temporary accommodation, cheap hotel or hostel, and just look for a flat once she’s there.

The only rule is, never, ever, ever, give any deposit money for a flat you’ve not seen with your own eyes. If you do you WILL be scammed.

Post edited at 16:39

Have emailed you.

In reply to crossdressingrodney:

Thanks everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...