Nesting bird on Pentathol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HannahC 24 Jul 2019

Does anyone know if there are still nesting bird on Pentathol?

Rigid Raider 24 Jul 2019
In reply to HannahC:

What does Pentathol do to birds? Make them sleepy?

McHeath 24 Jul 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

From Wiki:

"Thiopental (Pentothal) is still used in some places as a truth serum to weaken the resolve of a subject and make them more compliant to pressure ( ... )

The drug tends to make subjects loquacious and cooperative with interrogators; however, the reliability of confessions made under thiopental is questionable."

If it's Fulmars we're talking about, I'm ok with that. Not Ring Ouzels or Peregrines though please.

OP HannahC 24 Jul 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Cormorants & Razorbills apparently is that acceptable?

McHeath 24 Jul 2019

No.

Michael Gordon 24 Jul 2019
In reply to HannahC:

Don't know if still there. It's possible to traverse above them (directly across from the belay) at around 5a, though still not ideal.

OP HannahC 25 Jul 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thanks! Hopefully the weather will hold out will get a day out in the pass and the route till later in the season 

In reply to HannahC:

The thread title sounds like an obscure fall peel sessions track. 

Martin W 27 Jul 2019
In reply to HannahC:

> Cormorants & Razorbills apparently is that acceptable?

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is a criminal offence to "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird."

Cormorants, razorbills and fulmars aren't listed in Schedule 1.

For birds not in Schedule 1 it is only an offence to "Intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built" or to "Intentionally take or destroy the egg of any wild bird."  So if you can climb the route without damaging or destroying the nest or eggs then in theory it's legal: the law doesn't care if you only disturb such species while they're nesting.

IMO, though, it's not particularly responsible or considerate to value a human leisure activity as more important than a wild creature's natural behaviour when the two conflict.  And FWIW the overall british seabird population has been on a continual downward trend since the 1980s (as have the populations of almost all british bird species).

Post edited at 12:50
OP HannahC 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Hi Martin my question would have been better phrased are there still nesting birds on the route Pentathol on Gogarth. The question was so I could avoid them!

My response about Cormorant and Razorbills was intended to be a joke but was clearly as obvious as my original post. Which was definitely lacking some clarity.... 

Post edited at 21:54
 dinodinosaur 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Just to clarify, we aren't allowed to drug the birds so we can climb past?

Well what am I going to do with all these pentathol laced fish now... 

MingDynasty 31 Jul 2019
In reply to HannahC:

If there is, it's probably a shag. It was when I did it many years ago. I hate disturbing birds whilst climbing. I climbed past a nest a few years ago, not on Pentathol but not far from it. We disturbed the adult female and a gull took one of the eggs. I feel terrible about it.. Climbing is a pastime for us. For every other species on the planet breeding means survival.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...