Event Shelter Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abcdef 17 Jul 2019

Looking for something to supplement the family camping experience. Seems like all the event shelters at the affordable end of the market are similar (fibreglass poles and lower-end brands like Vango, Coleman etc).

For Scotland I'd imagine ability to withstand a bit of a breeze is important, but is it as important to be midge resistant? Does that mean a built-in groundsheet is needed to make it fully enclosed?

Is there anything that separates one from the herd that you would recommend?

Bloodfire 17 Jul 2019
In reply to abcdef:

I've just bought the coleman 14x14 event shelter for my scout group. Metal poles, very modular with door, window, side panels. works well, looks good sorted. Its heavy but in that translates into sturdy too. 

Note the 14x14 is a special size that only Go Outdoors do (as I've been told) so consider this when thinking about accessorising with the side panels. 

Jon Greengrass 17 Jul 2019
In reply to abcdef:

I have a 4m hexagonal gazebo with side panels that I bought from Argos 15 years ago for £50. (They still sell them for £110). It was first used on a campsite in the Ardeche for a week, to give us a living area I could stand up in that was sheltered from wasps, mosquitos and the torrential rain in the thunderstorms, much to the envy of our fellow campers who were amazed that it had only cost "cinquante euro!"

Its very sturdy, very heavy and takes up a lot of space when packed away. It hasn't blow away yet...

In reply to abcdef:

I have the Coleman Deluxe Event Shelter, it has steel poles and is extremely sturdy. Would withstand some serious Scottish weather if put up properly. It's also waterproof and you can buy different side panels for it if you require. Its a lot more solid than their Pro model.

https://www.coleman.eu/uk/p-26049-event-shelter-deluxe.aspx

OP abcdef 17 Jul 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

ouch - that looks almost 30KG

maybe the trade off with a lighter one is that it is flimsier/fibreglass poles. maybe i should try and pick one up 2nd hand but upgrade to alloy poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...