Using Soft Flasks instead of Bladder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Did the Saunders Mountain Marathon at the weekend: a bit of a comeback having been out of the hill running/MM scene for 20 or so years.  Kit has move on a lot in that time,  and having become accustomed to using a Camelback ® (…other brands are available) whilst out on the hill, without really thinking about it burdened myself with an extra 1.5 kg of unnecessary weight!

Back in the day I was quite happy using plastic bags and/or a cup and not carry much water between streams.  However, nowadays been a bit slower, older and less fit I quite like the idea of have some water with me en-route, especially in hot weather like the weekend. (250ml – 500ml would be enough).

I’m thinking of a soft flask with a straw and was wondering how best to attach to a rucksack strap that keeps it secure, but also makes it easy to get off and fill up.

What’s the thought of the UKC mind hive?  Thanks in advance.

Ridge 11 Jul 2019
In reply to exiled_northerner:

Cheap drawstring mesh bag from somewhere with a couple of cable ties onto the rucsac strap?

Alternatively don't fill the bladder fully, just put in 500mls at a time?

In reply to Ridge:

The problem with the bladder is that it’s a PITA to get back in.  I seem to need an empty sac and put the bladder in first to make it sit right

timjones 11 Jul 2019

> Did the Saunders Mountain Marathon at the weekend: a bit of a comeback having been out of the hill running/MM scene for 20 or so years.  Kit has move on a lot in that time,  and having become accustomed to using a Camelback ® (…other brands are available) whilst out on the hill, without really thinking about it burdened myself with an extra 1.5 kg of unnecessary weight!

> Back in the day I was quite happy using plastic bags and/or a cup and not carry much water between streams.  However, nowadays been a bit slower, older and less fit I quite like the idea of have some water with me en-route, especially in hot weather like the weekend. (250ml – 500ml would be enough).

> I’m thinking of a soft flask with a straw and was wondering how best to attach to a rucksack strap that keeps it secure, but also makes it easy to get off and fill up.

> What’s the thought of the UKC mind hive?  Thanks in advance.

I find soft flasks really good and don't need a straw if they are well positioned. 

Deadeye 11 Jul 2019

"Using soft flasks instead of bladder".  Wot?  L:ike a catheter bag?

Neil Williams 11 Jul 2019

If it's about weight it doesn't massively matter what you use, water is 1kg per litre in any kind of bottle (bottles, even the likes of stainless steel, are not very heavy).

All I'll say is that I have on a number of occasions regretted not having taken enough water on a run or a hike, but I have never regretted taking too much.

galpinos 11 Jul 2019

On an MM i’ve got a rucksack on so it’s just a normal small sports bottle in the side webbing of my OMM classic. Light and easy to use. It’s nice to have a bit of fluid on the sac for the long legs between streams.

Marek 11 Jul 2019

Whatever you use needs to be drinkable and fillable 'on the hoof'. A bladder in the pack is a non starter. You only need it to hold enough water to get between streams. I used a small <200ml wide necked bottle with a tube in the lid, slipped into a loop on my left shoulder strap. Could grab a drink without breaking stride, and took 2 seconds to fill it at a stream. Doubled as a cup at the overnight stop. I'm not sure if there anything avaiable off-the-shelf - I made mine from bits I had. Lasted a decade.

In reply to Neil Williams:

> If it's about weight it doesn't massively matter what you use, water is 1kg per litre in any kind of bottle (bottles, even the likes of stainless steel, are not very heavy).

> All I'll say is that I have on a number of occasions regretted not having taken enough water on a run or a hike, but I have never regretted taking too much.

Thanks Neil ... it is about the weight, but it's more about not carrying too much and having a system that allows you to carry just enough between sources which is quick and efficient to deploy as Marek has pointed out.

petermartinez 12 Jul 2019

Yes I also think soft flask would be the best option.

riverz 12 Jul 2019

I find soft flasks are only good for use with racevests or rucksacks designed for them or for putting in bumbags. Trying to fit a soft flask in a rucksack side pocket is a pain as they just bend when you push them in in a hurry unlike a normal bottle.  A normal rigid plastic bottle fills up faster from the streams too.

Simon Caldwell 12 Jul 2019
In reply to riverz:

> I find soft flasks are only good for use with racevests or rucksacks designed for them or for putting in bumbags

I was about to say the same thing. Great with a vest, not so great with a normal sack or easy access from a bum bag.

I use a normal rigid bottle. Usually .5 litre, increasing to 1 litre if it's very dry and/or I'm expecting a long way between water sources (eg last weekend in the Howgills, where a few times I drank the full litre on long legs with no streams).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...